Discussion on Linux distributions
crosscourt

Ubuntu 20.04.6 released

Post by crosscourt »

Site Moderator
crosscourt

Re: Ubuntu 20.04.6 released

Post by crosscourt »

Zorin is the only OS I use thats still on 20.04 and it works extremely well. Zorin has a slow uptake on switching to the newest version of Ubuntu.
Site Moderator
wove

Post by wove »

Bohdi Linux is still based on 20.04. It is an exceptionally light weight Linux. It works very well if your work flow tends toward an i3 or sway type desktop, but prefer a more traditional graphical DE layout. It uses the Maska DE, which is derivative of Enlightenment.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Bodhi uses Moksha DE which I never cared for. Used Bodhi for quite some time with Enlightenment.
Site Moderator
wove

Post by wove »

I did get the name of the DE wrong. You can delete the panel and such and go back to a plain Enlightenment. I was looking for really lightweight desktop, but did want to invest in learning i3 or sway when I remember Bohdi. I had not used it is sometime and was not aware they had moved from Enlightenment. Enlightenment was the original window manager for Gnome and I always like just how sparse it was.

For me nothing says "get to work" quite like a completely blank desktop. Putting it on my IdeaCenter, with lots of resources and a touch screen, made for a truly wonderful work station for learning Blender. I can put the Blender tools and a tutorial video on a second monitor and go to town. I weren't so dense, I might even learn something.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Enlightenment changed too much and I didnt like Moksha. My tastes changed as I didnt need a lightweight sparse distro any more. I went in the other direction and wanted more features and the ability to customize which lead me to KDE. KDE also got a lot lighter which was an added plus. That said here I am using Zorin with a customized Gnome Shell.
I have to admit that the learning curve has slowed down and I prefer to have my system setup for productivity or gaming and leave it at that.
Site Moderator