Star Trek Picard

Talk about anything you like not related to the above forums
wove

Re: Star Trek Picard

Post by wove »

I have never been very interested in series TV. I think I have seen most of the Star Trek movies and have seen a few shows. Generally I enjoy entertainment that lasts a couple hours, so I gravitate toward movies. Now my son says he is too busy and has too much work to carve out two hours for a movie, so he likes the shorter episode TV.

Star Trek has such a fan base and I have never really understood it. Seems like every episode they meet some new challenge, that is really just some minor variation on the last episodes challenge. They always overcome the challenge, everybody comes out fine, the ship is fixed. They always win. They say they are explorers, but it has nothing but protagonists and antagonists.

Science fiction has tended in the direction of world building, and I think overall I just prefer separate stories with new characters. I fell in love with Frank Herbert's short stories, which were so well crafted, then he got into Dune now his kids are continuing it. I read the first one, did not like it and gave up. I enjoyed the Ender's Game movie, which was a nice tale. Now that was based on the Ender's books, which go on and on and on until it becomes convoluted nonsense.
CaptNoize

Post by CaptNoize »

I actually like Star Trek DS9,the best. It was dark, action packed, and had some great episodes. I saw the original Dune movie,with that puke "Sting" from the Police. It was horrible...! I much prefer movies like Aliens and Terminator.
wove

Post by wove »

My sister was a big fan of DS9. I have only seen it a couple times when we went up to visit her. I did not see the Dune movie. I did get through the first book and partly into the second, but the story line was just too convoluted to hold my interest. I really enjoyed the Alien and Terminator movies. Straight forward story line, lots of action, very well done bad guys, all in all a top notch way to spend a couple hours.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Dune movie when it came out was great and very different from a lot of the other scifi movies but it hasnt aged well though. Star Trek,TNG were my favorites, DS9 was good,Voyager horrible, Enterprise good and most of the Star Trek movies were good, including the more recent Star Trek remake films. Alien and Terminator movies were good but over time it became more of a rinse and repeat versus the originals. My favorite scifi series shows were Babylon 5 and Firefly but there have been few new scifi shows that have come out recently I care to watch.
Site Moderator
CaptNoize

Post by CaptNoize »

I really also liked Aliens Vs Predators. The first was really good, the second one, not so. Babylon 5 , Season 3 I think, the Shadow War, was my favorite. The CGI tho, really sucked. It looked cartoon-ish to me. I did like the story lines,and the actors.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Remember that Babylon 5 came out in 1995-2000 and graphics, particularly in scenes with a lot of ships was tough to do. Star Trek took a long time before they could achieve scenes with so many ships in battle.. Overall I thought B5 graphics were quite good they were certainly different because B5 had a different look and plot.
Site Moderator
bin

Post by bin »

Don't forget Farscape!!!!!
CaptNoize

Post by CaptNoize »

I really liked Farscape. Then Ben Browder and Claudia Black ended up on Stargate SG1. Speaking of which...have you heard that Amazon Prime is going to be doing a reboot of SG1..? Amazon bought MGM last year,and all it's properties. This might be interesting.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Amazon is dropping a lot of projects so Im not sure thats going to happen. Another show I liked was Andromeda with Kevin Sorbo but over time it became convoluted.
Site Moderator
CaptNoize

Post by CaptNoize »

They seem to be pursuing more sci-fi stuff. Have you seen previews of Citadel yet..? Looks pretty good. Also, when is the Peripheral coming back on..? I've been binge watching Fear the Walking Dead. Season 6 is REALLY dark. The USS Pennsylvania nuclear sub is found washed up, and Morgan( Lennie James) finds a key on a zombie,which turns out to be the launch key for the nuclear weapons... Which one gets launched. I haven't seen that episode yet, just saw the aftermath,and believe me, this gets REAL ugly..!!! :shock: :twisted: :twisted: :shock: