HP 1510 PRINTER

Discussion of hardware related issues
CaptNoize

HP 1510 PRINTER

Post by CaptNoize »

I have a Hp 1510 printer that's a few years old. It works great, but uses alot of ink, since I usually just print invoices in black, no color. I just bought a new Hp black cartridge #61 and installed it. From the first time I used it, it showed " Low Ink". Is there anyway to fix this display, since I know it's not the cartridge. Also, everytime I try to refill one of these cartridges, it never works out. Anyone have any suggestions..?
crosscourt

Re: HP 1510 PRINTER

Post by crosscourt »

Clean the cartridge contacts as that may be causing it. Ive never had any luck refilling HP cartridges
Site Moderator
dai_trying

Post by dai_trying »

I hate inkjet printers with a passion! my advice would be to get a cheap laser printer, I got mine about 5-6 years ago and have never had any issues with it, although I do not print a lot of stuff it is always ready and just works when i need it to, and although it might appear that toner cartridges are more expensive, page for page they are much much cheaper as you will not have the need to constantly clean the heads (which simply purges ink through the print-head) if you don't print daily.
CaptNoize

Post by CaptNoize »

Wouldn't you think a brand new cartridge would have clean contacts..? My old Hp 952C printer cartridges have been filled a couple of times, altho, a mess doing, worked out fine. However, this 1510 printer is a no go as far as refilling. I've tried, time and time, but it never works out :x :x :x I don't use these alot, but they are a necessary evil.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

There are contacts on both the printer side and on the cartridge. Could be a driver issue but check the ink level on the printer display to see if it shows the same as the software.
I like ink Jet printers and havent had many issues at all, I agree with Dai though as printing only in black and for business use a laser printer would be a good choice.
Site Moderator
CaptNoize

Post by CaptNoize »

I tried that, it says info unavailable... I'll look and see if the printer side of the contacts are gummed up.
bin

Post by bin »

Inkjets are the most appalling printers I have ever come across. OK if they are in constant use and you've got a company budget for the ink, but for occasional domestic use I think they are foul. Tank models are better than the rip-off cartridge things but the cost of ink!!!!!

Still using an HP Laserjet 1010 from 2002. On its fourth toner cartridge.....
wove

Post by wove »

My wife likes to make simple activity items. Word find puzzles, drawings for coloring, mazes, find the hidden figures are sort of her forte. She would then put them into simple booklets, and back before we were happily retired, she would bundle them up and sell them to Sunday school programs, day care providers, after school programs, teachers, etc. Just a small part time gig that can be done when there is nothing else to do. No being comfortably retired, less is done and the creations are just given away.

Anyway over the years we have went through lots and lots of printers, ink/toner and paper. Our current printer is an HP Officejet Pro 8710. Which is a very nice dependable versatile printer and scanner. Much of the printing needs to be in color. Color laser printers are expensive, and in our experience they are just too fussy to maintain. They have lots of sensors and moving parts and any failing bit or bob results in the whole printer failing, which is expensive to fix.

Most home inkjet are really junky things, but office rated inkjet printers in our experience are of a decent build quality, and for their cost provide a decent value. Ink is horribly expensive and I am sure we have spent more money on ink for the printers than we ever spent on the printer itself. The current HP 8710 has given good service for five plus years. It does nice printing of pictures on photo paper, it prints both sides. One feature we really enjoy is that it can print a pdf from the built in card reader ore USB port. So projects can be archived to a USB stick, then printer right from the printer without the need to involve a computer.

So anyway for us an inkjet printers have done the best job of meeting our needs. The best inkjet printer we ever owned was a Kodak inkjet printer, but of course Kodak is no more. We have had Canon inkjet printers, which I do not think are worth the powered it would take to blow them up. We never found Epson inkjet printers to be at all reliable. The quality was good, but they misfired on as many pages as they printed.

Wife probably prints 500 pages a month, cartridges last ~three months. It is expensive enough to complain about, but at the same time it is really not a horribly expensive creative hobby.
dai_trying

Post by dai_trying »

I do agree that in a use case such as yours, an inkjet printer should (and normally would) be a good reliable machine, the problem lays with most users (that I know personally) do not print the volumes that you do and that is where the problems begin, an average of 15+ pages per day would IMHO keep the printer running smoothly, but that is way above what many (I would say most but that would only be in my circle) users print. IME home users use their printers at most on a monthly basis, with the occasional Amazon returns note to be printed in between. For these reasons I always advise to buy a laser printer as they are definitely (again IMHO) better overall value for money.
CaptNoize

Post by CaptNoize »

I ordered a black cartridge for my old Hp 952C desktop printer, which is stationed in my shop. It wasn't too expensive, $19.05 from an aftermarket refiller. They enclose a letter with it saying that the Ink Level Indicator showing Low,or Empty, is cause the printer manufacturer released a automated firmware update to my printer. They "guarantee" their cartridges are filled to the maximum capacity. They say to ignore the error message by pressing the Ok button. Then, check the box that says "Don't display this dialog again". :roll: :roll: :roll: I guess they're blaming it on the printer, or Linux...?