Aliexpress 2TB hard drive worked for 15 minutes

Discussion of hardware related issues
wove

Aliexpress 2TB hard drive worked for 15 minutes

Post by wove »

The 2TB drive I ordered from AliExpress came with this mornings mail. It formatted OK. I went to copy a 128GB thumb drive to the new drive. It copied a couple moves, then the new HD disappeared, and the copy reported it failed because it lost contact with the destination drive. It has not shown up again, not on a USB adaptor, nor when put in the SATA bay of a laptop. So "Green" is not a very reliable HD brand.
crosscourt

Re: Aliexpress 2TB hard drive worked for 15 minutes

Post by crosscourt »

My 2tb m.2 ssd came today. It came in a Samsung 980 evo box from 2020 but its clearly not a Samsung.. Going to try and clone my hard drive on the m700 to it and see what happens.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Was able to clone to the new ssd and it seems to be running fine. Testing results show aroiund 320mbs to 360mbs across the board for the drive but I get mixed results at times that have gone as low as 127mbps and as high as 463mbps. Using Crystaldiskmark the test froze once but Crystaldiskinfo says the drive is good but show a larger than normal error rate which honestly happens with my Netac drives as well. I wouldnt rely on this drive but will run it long term in my Lenovo mini-pc to see how it does.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Ran the drive most of the night and its performance is erratic. It claims to be made by Delaihe Electronics but cant find any info on them. The memory chips I also cant identify and still not sure about the controller. It definitely reports as 2gb and I can access all of that space. Not a drive I could use reliably but may use it for low priority storage. Will never do business with Aliexpress ever again.
Site Moderator
bin

Post by bin »

Aliexpress??? wouldn't even buy an empty box through them - it would still be a faulty knock off.......
wove

Post by wove »

I have purchased from Chinese companies in the past with good success. I have always bought direct from the mfg and this was my first use of Aliexpress. I have no idea who made it. The address on the drive is UK, POBox 471, Leatherhead, KT22 2LU, UK. I sent them a message saying it did not work. The response was, "Can you send us a movie demonstrating the drive does not work?" I put on my best Kubric hat, but I drew a blank on what such a movie might look like.

Aliexpress has sent me several promotional emails since my order, perhaps I would have better luck with their hair extensions.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Dont like buying from outside the USA as you have no recourse when there are issues. Buying thru services like Ebay also gives you some extra protection. Credit card companies overall are good but it gets dicey when youre dealing with overseas sales.

Im testing my drive again today and so far its ok but benchmarks are erratic and occasionally lock up. Read speeds generally are lower than write speeds which is opposite to most of my other drives. Getting in the low 400s to mid 300s. Ive tried a lot of methods and still cant identify the controller, nor the memory. The company doesnt exist and there is not model number or name for the drive.

As to the movie thats a wild request but I guess if you can show the system wont boot up with the drive in use, maybe thats good enough?
Site Moderator
bin

Post by bin »

For the movie - I'd suggest an external USB-SATA cable. I find them very useful for quick access to a drive.
Film plugging in/access/eject with a drive that works, then repeat with the dud.
The UK address is just the Leatherhead Post Office/Sorting Office https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.29522 ... 384!8i8192
wove

Post by wove »

That picture is wonderful. UK travel posters are a land of castles and funky houses on meandering roads. It appears that AliExpress has done an excellent job of cloning blah American suburban sprawl and selling it in the UK :) I do have to say though that Leatherhead, is a very cool name for a town.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Dont even have an address for the maker of my ssd, ;)
Site Moderator