Pinebook Pro and Endless OS 5

Discussion of hardware related issues
wove

Pinebook Pro and Endless OS 5

Post by wove »

A while back while trying to install Endeavour OS on the Pinebook Pro I installed the Nix boot loader. It is a flash to the spi so it is a persistent part of the laptop now. Endless 5 has and image for the Pinebook Pro. I downloaded it and used Raspberry Pi Imager to put it on a thumbdrive. Using the Nix boot loader I booted the Pinebook Pro and set Endless OS to run from the thumb drive.

I installed Raspberry Pi Imager from flat hub on the Endless thumbdrive. Using Imager I then installed the Endless 5 image on the NVME drive in the Pinebook Pro. Well in the end the Nix bootloader recognized Endless 5 on the nvme drive as bootable and booted it. Endless OS runs very well on the Pinebook Pro. The NVME drive is quite fast compared to either the USB, SDcard or the emmc.

So after 2+ years the Pinebook Pro is doing very well with a nice Endless OS install.

Endless does not include drivers for the wifi, which have to be downloaded then moved into place to activate wifi. Endless also does not sleep/wake very reliably. If you walk away it will go to sleep then wake with a keypress, but it you put it to sleep via command or closing the lid, it will not wake. Also I have not been able to get internal speaker to work, although the headphone jack works fine. Perhaps should/could/will work better, but as of right now it is still pretty nice.
crosscourt

Re: Pinebook Pro and Endless OS 5

Post by crosscourt »

Glad you were able to get it working. EOS is doing a great job supporting a variety of hardware. Im impressed with their implementation of Wayland as it works very well with my older hardware.
Site Moderator