Beginning 3d printing software?

Discussion of software apps
wove

Beginning 3d printing software?

Post by wove »

Today the Winter brochure for Community and Continuing Education came in the mail. Right on page two was a class on Introduction to 3d Printing. That seemed right up my alley, but then I noticed that it was for ages kindergarten through grade 4. That just made me wonder what software they use. The only piece of kid friendly 3d software I am familiar with is Microsoft 3d Paint. I know kids can use it and fun with it, because I play with it with the grandkids, but I do not know if models created in that application can even be used in 3d printing.

Does anyone happen to know of any really basic software, as in easy to learn and use that would provide an easy on ramp to 3d printing?
crosscourt

Re: Beginning 3d printing software?

Post by crosscourt »

Try Tinkercad as its free online and is pretty easy to learn. Morphi isnt free but Ive been told by friends its quite easy to use.
Site Moderator
dai_trying

Post by dai_trying »

I use openscad to create simple 3d shapes, it uses a programming script style to create 3d objects and the resulting files (stl) can be loaded into Cura to slice the model for your printer. I have created several simple objects without too much hassle. If you try OpenScad you will find a "cheat sheet" in the help section of the menu which explains most of the functions available. One of it's benefits (IMO) is the ability to use variables for the sizes which means you can adjust lengths and positions very easily.

Another option to create 3d files is freecad, although I found it to have a bigger learning curve but some find it more intuitive, YMMV.
wove

Post by wove »

Thanks for the suggestions. I will give them a look. I took night courses in CAD. My hat goes off the draftsmen, next to accounting it has to be the most boring occupation in the world. My limited attention span for the most part prevents me from ever doing anything useful with CAD. I was thinking that starting would be more of a pottery or sculpture approach.

Push a blob into shape or remove parts of a block leaving item you want. I have real trouble seeing how you would create a "bear" in a CAD program. In my own looking about I came across an app for the tablet called "Putty". It uses a potter approach where you start with a blob, the stylus becomes various tools, which you use to shape/cut the blob into the item you wish, then the computer does all the math to create what is needed to precisely define the shape and create the files needed for moving to the printing process.
dai_trying

Post by dai_trying »

You sound like you use a similar approach to me, sometimes start with a blob and cut pieces out, other times start with a blob and add pieces, sometimes (mostly actually) even both approaches in the same project, whatever I'm sure you will have some fun "playing". :)