Discussion of software apps
crosscourt

Top ten best music players in Linux

Post by crosscourt »

Site Moderator
crosscourt

Re: Top ten best music players in Linux

Post by crosscourt »

Strawberry is my favorite but Ive used Audacious and Rhythmbox as well.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I've used Elisa, Audacious, Strawberry, rhythmbox and Deadbeef. Of those, Strawberry is also my favorite, and Elisa is by far the worst of them IMO.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Tried Elisa once and never again.
Site Moderator
wove

Post by wove »

Like most software I think the best music player depends on how you like to listen to music. When I really listen to music it becomes the entertainment, I like to go to my stereo. I can plug my drive with all my music into the Visio TV and use it to play through the stereo. When working on the computer, I generally like it quiet, but if I am just casually browsing or playing about I will go to an internet stream for music. There are decent command line players that you can just point to a folder to have them play the music. I have not been able to find a command line player that works with playing a stream.

I did use Clementine for a long time, it had a nice interface to find streams. I always thought it was a bit over the top in features though. I have never paid much attention to album art, or lyrics, and players that go out and get those items, strike me as just wasting my bandwidth. When I am in the mood for listening to music I listen to whole albums, meaning that I also do not have much use for play lists.

I have gravitated to Rythmbox on the computer, mainly for the ease of adding streams. I also find Elisa nice for the same reason. So for me I use either Rythmbox or Elisa for they easily meet my needs without being cluttered. My music folder is very empty. There might be a few tracks in it for transcoding, or just recently acquired, but they are quickly moved off to a more permanent "music" drive.

For me that is just generational and old school. Growing up music was either coming from the radio, or coming on tapes, vinyl on the stereo. My owned music was always on a case next to the stereo, and now it is just kept on a drive by the sound system. You could say my listening habits have not evolved.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I used Clementine for quite awhile and also RhythmBox both excellent but eventually gravitated to Strawberry as it suited my needs better.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Same on Clementine. I actually like Clementine better than Strawberry, but Clementine hasn't had a release since 2016 (2018?), while Strawberry is quite actively developed still. So made the switch. Rumor is that Clementine development has started again and there will be a release this year.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Thats actually why I changed to Strawberry as Clementine had a few issues because its not actively developed. Strawberry works very well and offers at least for me most of what Clementine offered.
Site Moderator
CaptNoize

Post by CaptNoize »

I use Clementine when I want to listen to my music files. I use VLC to stream my radio music. It's simple, one click, and it opens my station. Nothing fancy, for sure. :roll:
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Clementine is great and I hope it will start development again.
Site Moderator