Your favorite apps of 2022

Discussion of software apps
crosscourt

Your favorite apps of 2022

Post by crosscourt »

For me it was smaller apps like Kdiskmark and CPU-X, and a boatload of independent games.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Re: Your favorite apps of 2022

Post by tlmiller »

crosscourt wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 9:23 pm For me it was smaller apps like Kdiskmark and CPU-X, and a boatload of independent games.
As a rarity, you and I are in total agreement on this.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Dont think its quite that bad but glad you agree, :)
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

crosscourt wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 4:16 am Dont think its quite that bad but glad you agree, :)
Eh, we have very different preferences on most things. Not saying there's anything wrong with that, just the facts. We generally like totally different stuff. You're a mini desktop fan, I'm a laptop fan. You're a fan of displays that are a little lower resolution and can tolerate lower color accuracy, I tend to demand the most from the LCD, and am much more willing to accept compromise in the CPU. You tend to look for a usable out of the box solution when installing an OS, I want more of a pure minimal installation with nothing but the absolute BARE essentials so I can build it how I like it. Etc. etc. etc. Nothing wrong with either view, but it is true we rarely see things the same way.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Actually Im a desktop user thru and thru. I also prefer desktop displays and use a 1920x1080 24 in monitor. The higher resolutions on the smaller screens is really tough on the eyes. Mini pcs fill a niche in areas of the house where desktops are just too big. In regards to OS Im not an out of the box type in Windows as my setup is heavily customized, but in Linux yes Im very mainstream with the OS(customized Zorin quite a bit). In regards to cpus I go for what I can afford then try to tweak more performance out of it. My gaming setup is definitely not even close to an out of the box experience. I spend more time in Windows and you in Linux. Different interests and perspectives. Im also working with family and clients so I have to spend a lot of time in Windows.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Yeah, I moved away from all my Windows clients that I hadn't told they needed to find someone else when I moved to AZ, and while I did pick up a few while I was with my wife (ie - her friends), I turned down any and all work on Windows from everyone else, and once her and I split, I turned down her friends for any further work on Windows. I do have some clients for desktop support still, but it's all Linux desktop support. My few clients that I still do desktop support are rather varied though, I have mostly Debian users, 1 Ubuntu (KDE Neon) user, and actually have someone using Arch that I support, although to his credit, he actually has learned quite a bit and rarely needs my help anymore.
Last edited by tlmiller on Sun Jan 01, 2023 4:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Just finished a system tonite, a new system that needed a Win10 install and a bit of tweaking as its for a gamer. A lot of my clients are gamers but not all.
Spend a lot of time cleaning systems because people just do the dumbest things. Ive also been able to pick up some mini pcs cheap and have been able to sell them pretty well so far.
Site Moderator