Tis the season!!

Discussion of hardware related issues
wove

Re: Tis the season!!

Post by wove »

Trying to be a bit tongue in cheek, but not being very good at the attitude. Like being a kid a Christmas, all pumped up at the new deluxe toy set, then meeting with friends the day after only to hear they got the uber super deluxe toy set. :)

Overall I am really happy with the T580. It feels much more powerful than the X230 and it is coming together very nicely. I do want to up the RAM and I am debating going to 32GB. @tlmiller says it would be a good performance boost and talking with a friend a couple weeks back said he had taken is laptop to 32GB and was very impressed with the performance boost.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

16gb should be plenty for whatever you do typically. Even gamers dont need 32gb in most cases. If the price is right go for it but honestly 16gb should be fine.
I went thru that a lot when I was younger but money limitations and the fact that the uber deluxe many times wasnt as good as advertised mitigated my reaction. Always preferred something I could tweak into what I really wanted.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I mean, technically the T580 can max at 64GB, so you have options if you REALLY want to go for some overkill. And don't mind spending significantly more on a single upgrade than the laptop cost. :D
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

:D :D
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Got the laptop and all upgrades in. FInally really getting a chance to try it out. I'm underwhelmed. There's nothing really WRONG with it, but the BIOS is a steaming pile of dog-s**t. It utterly ignores several options regardless of what you set the option to. So my F-keys will ONLY work as F-keys when I hold the Fn button, because the option that changes that is ignored. And it takes 20-30 seconds to post, so from powered off/restart, it takes 40+ seconds to boot to the OS!!!!! And it doesn't change regardless of if fast boot is turned on or off. I don't doubt all the issues CAN be fixed with BIOS updates, it's just that right now, it's trash.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Welcome to the world of HP. They have a lot of bios issues but they do get corrected eventually. My Elitedesk mini pcs I really hated at first but with updates the bios has improved somewhat. Overall I prefer Dell bios as Lenovo and HP Ive had issues with.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Lenovo's been MOSTLY good for me. The A485 & T14 G1 AMD had issues on launch (the A485 MASSIVE ISSUES, and TONS of them), but the T495, T14 G2, T14s G3, K14 all were totally solid on release. This is my first HP that I've bought when it was still an active model since the 1020 G1 (which, BTW, was a steaming cesspool of garbage. Bought 2, this was when I did the EWA for Verizon so I made almost as much in 3 months as I normally would in an entire year, 1 for me and 1 for the at the time wife, and we both hated them. Worst touchpad ever, bad keyboard, great internals but awful human interface hardware) and gotta admit, it doesn't make me excited to buy more HP's.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

My Lenovo mini pcs had some bios issues and the design of the bios left a lot to be desired. Ive worked on quite a few Lenovo systems, many had bios issues with no real fixes or the new bios caused more issues. Dell and Acer by far had the best bios and were easy to work with and correct issues.
Site Moderator
wove

Post by wove »

Well it looks like I should have went to 36GB of RAM when I first thought of it. At that point newegg had a 32GB kit (2-16) for $62. Today that has jumped to $100+. An 8GB module at the time was $15 and it is now $35. Amazon prices are much now much worse than that. And indeed as @tlmiller mentioned 64GB is now much more expensive than the laptop itself.

Just goes to show if you want something and you find it at a price you want to pay, you should just jump on it. I am so bummed out right now, I think I will just recycle the laptop and be done with it. :(
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Prices will drop later into next year so just wait. If youre running 16gb right now, thats all you need, I wouldnt worry about it.
Site Moderator