Tis the season!!

Discussion of hardware related issues
tlmiller

Tis the season!!

Post by tlmiller »

With my Birthday and Christmas coming up, had to buy myself a present!!
ksnip_20221219-215455.png
ksnip_20221219-215455.png (86.64 KiB) Viewed 1133 times
wove

Re: Tis the season!!

Post by wove »

Wow, that appears to be a fine collection for Santa to put under the tree. My sister's birthday is very near Christmas. I was always concerned growing up that her birthday would get lost in the crush of the holidays. When she grew up, she decided to take the matter of her birthday into her own hands and get herself what she wanted for her birthday. So as we got old, I now send her a card asking her, "Did you you get everything you hoped for on your birthday?"

Well did you? I hope you have a grand birthday and a fantastic Christmas.
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I certainly did. This isn't JUST the high end 845, it's the high end 845 with the HS processor. These are specially binned processors that run @35-watt TDP, but because they require so much binning to get chips that will run as fast as they are at 35-watt instead of 45-watt, AMD will only allow you to use them if you actually work with AMD on the design of the laptop to ensure it's meets their approval and criteria.

And still $500 cheaper than my T14s G3 AMD was even after upgrading it to the same levels of SSD & RAM!!!
wove

Post by wove »

Nice. I think it is pretty cool, when things get designed so that all the good stuff can work in perfect sync with all the other good stuff. It certainly sounds like the makings of an exciting day. Have fun! :D
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

My birthday is in the same month as Christmas and I use to make out when I was younger. Last year I bought the Alienware R10 with 5600x, RX6600,32gb and 2tb nvme ssd. Looks like youre going to be having some fun.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Indeed I will!! Actually never owned an HS processor before (partially because they didn't exist until the 4000 series Ryzen, and there was only like 2 laptops that had them then).
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

So even though the T14 Gen1 AMD is Ryzen 7, and the L14 Gen1 AMD is only Ryzen 5, I'm keeping the L14 instead of the T14. While the T14 is smaller, and lighter, I just don't like the fact that the case is red. I had ordered it in pink, so have never been totally happy with it being red. So decided to keep the L14 and it's purple case instead.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Good choice, purple is my favorite color.
Site Moderator
CaptNoize

Post by CaptNoize »

I haven't a clue what you got, but I wish you, and everyone on here Merry Xmas, and Happy New Year. And have a Great Birthday 🎂, TL, ...you deserve it..! :D
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Its an HP laptop with a Ryzen 7 cpu. Both tlmiller and myself like Ryzen cpus. I run Ryzen 5 2600 and 5600x cpus in my desktops. For the price versus performance they are a great deal. Had my birthday back in the beginning of December as I turned 69. My last year before turning 70 which Im not looking forward to at all. This will be a tough year with a number of medical procedures I have to go through. It will be nice to enjoy Christmas and New Years without having to deal with my job. I can watch it snow and just enjoy it.
Site Moderator