Thinkpad T580

Discussion of hardware related issues
tlmiller

Re: Thinkpad T580

Post by tlmiller »

I've considered a no-name generic Chinese WD rip-off SATA drive on ebay, $45 for 2TB SATA. Comes in Blue, Red, or Green (thus the WD reference).
There's also another no-name Samsung rip-off. A "980 EVO" 2TB that runs (multiple listings for it) from $20-$85. SATA. Same colors on the sticker as Samsung. But obviously not a Samsung since a. there never was a 980 EVO, just a 980 and a 980 Pro; b. 980 series is NVMe. I would love to get one of these despite knowing it's an attempted scam but all the listings are either $30 shipping, or arrival date is like 12 January to 2 March. I'll pass on the 2 month delivery window, thank you. But it would be a neat to see if it's even a functional SSD.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Ive been tempted to order one to see as $45 certainly would be nice.
Site Moderator
wove

Post by wove »

I want to thank @tlmiller for suggesting the Thinkpad T580. It is proving to be a very fine machine. I am so content with its performance, that I ordered another one to replace my wife's aging but very reliable X220. Tech design and miniaturization has come a long way. Although larger in foot print the T580 is not much heavier than the X220. And oh my has battery life improved over the years. Like all used laptops the T580 came with not so hot batteries. But the new replacements give 14 hours, oh my to wander around for a couple days and not even think about power is just wonderful.

If the T580 is as reliable as the X220 I expect I will be using this until 2030.
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I mean, I use enough hardware that someone give me a decent idea of what's actually important for them in a laptop, and I can make pretty good recommendations.