Whats the oldest desktop youre using?

Discussion of hardware related issues
crosscourt

Whats the oldest desktop youre using?

Post by crosscourt »

My oldest is the Dell Optiplex 7010 MT from 2013, with third gen Intel quad core i5.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Re: Whats the oldest desktop youre using?

Post by tlmiller »

I only have 1 desktop, but it's starting to get some age to it now. It's a Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 3700x, 32GB ram, and a multitude of SSD's.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Youre system isnt outdated. Only reason I went to the Alienware R10 feom the Dell 5676 was the fact the 5676 simply couldnt be updated because of the old bios. R10 has some room to grow with its different design and available bios.
Site Moderator
wove

Post by wove »

You're talking pretty new stuff there. My oldest desktop is a Commodore 128D from 1984. I also have a gigabit ethernet Mac from 2001, and a PowerMac G5 from 2003. Now they are pretty long in the tooth. There is a new hacked MacOS for the PowerMacG5, which updates the security certificates, replaces the old BSD subsystem with the latest and updates Safari with the 2019 version. Overall it is still a solid daily driver, but consumes 650watts when in operation, but with winter coming it can double as a room heater as well. There is a Debian variant for it using xfce, that is apparently quite good. The 128D can be connected to a Linux box via serial cable and using a VT100 emulator program one can connect to BBSes over the internet, which is way cool for a machine with 128K of RAM.
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

crosscourt wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:58 am Youre system isnt outdated. Only reason I went to the Alienware R10 feom the Dell 5676 was the fact the 5676 simply couldnt be updated because of the old bios. R10 has some room to grow with its different design and available bios.
Eh, it's Zen2 still, with a motherboard that doesn't support m.2 PCIe 4.0. So it's getting a bit aged. I could upgrade to Zen3 easily enough, but I'm hoping that eventully the price of B650E drops down a bit (under $200) so I can upgrade to Zen4. But right now, the CHEAPEST boards are about $160, and for a decent board that supports PCIe 5.0, they start around $250. Out of my price range when the MOTHERBOARD ALONE is $250++!!!! I'd like to try the newer technologies, but it's not like I actually need an upgrade, the 3700X is still absolutely fine for what I do, doubly since with the Steam Deck release they've fixed EVERY game I play with any regularity and so I've actually been playing games most of the last month, but not once have I booted Windows.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Some of my games do better in Windows for me, particularly the online multiplayer games and a lot of the work I do online requires having Windows.
Site Moderator
CaptNoize

Post by CaptNoize »

I'm using a Hp Pavilion from 2006 for my house computer. It's a duo core something or other, I really don't pay attention to that sh*t. I'm using a Dell Optiplex 7010 I7 processor, and 32 gig of RAM. I think it was built in 2018. Again, I don't pay much attention to that, as long as it works when I turn it on, that's all I care about... :roll:
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Which model HP Pavilion do you have, just curious. Dell Optiplex 7010 came out in 2012 but most of them were actually made in 2013-2014. The two that I have interestingly enough were made on my birthday in 2013. Love Optiplex systems as they are stable, easy to work on and offer excellent performance. In many ways I like my 7010 better than my Alienware R10 except in regards to performance.
Site Moderator
CaptNoize

Post by CaptNoize »

Hp Pavilion a1710n. A friend gave it to me, it was giving her all kinds of problems. She just wanted me to junk it. The chassis is in mint condition, the inside was clean enough to eat off. I started playing with it, found it had Windblows Vista on it. It only had the minimum amount of RAM... No wonder it wasn't working right..! I Immediately deleted Vista. Replaced it with MX Linux 17. Maxed out the RAM. Didn't do anything else to it. Works Great..does exactly what I need it to do.
I will look and see if I can find the build date on the Dell Optiplex 7010. Where might I find that..? On the chassis, or in the bios..? System info..?
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Its in the bios under system information for the 7010. Was your a1710n the one with the athlon x64 cpu? Its a nice system actually. I spend most of my time working with older systems both with family and clients. In reality most people arent running newer systems. Most are running hardware 6-8 years or older, and I regularly see systems more than 10 years old desktops and laptops. A lot of techs dont want to work with older hardware, particularly 12 years and older so I get a lot of phone calls and referrals.
Site Moderator