wattOS R12 released

Discussion on Linux distributions
crosscourt

wattOS R12 released

Post by crosscourt »

Its been a few years since this distro was released but it now uses Debian 11 along with LXDE. One of the lightest distros Ive ever used and great for older hardware. Its a minimalist distro with just basic apps installed so you can add what you like.

More here, https://distrowatch.com/11680
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Re: wattOS R12 released

Post by tlmiller »

I remember kinda liking this for a debian-based OS when it was first released.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

It was a fantastic community but support dropped out in 2020. Hes got all the Debian repos available by default, plus Gdebi and Gparted. Im going to download it and give it a look. I want to compare it to Peppermint, another lightweight Debian distro.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I've got it running, I threw it in a VM real quick just to look at it. I LIKE the grub background they use. pretty.

It's acdtually a pretty decent looking theme, and not overly in your face gaudy. I'd prefer a light theme to the dark theme it uses, but for a dark theme, it's tolerable. I don't get including gdebi anymore. EVERYTHING gdebi was good for is included in apt now, so it's utterly unnecessary and just bloat. Why do so many people love useless bloat?
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Its like having a comfort food, and people just feel better having it. Realize hes also very close to his original community and is trying offer apps based on their needs expressed in the old forums as well. Doesnt bother me that Gdebi is there even though these days its not needed. Im downloading now and will take a look at it. I use to use wattOS back when I was using Q4OS TDE and wattOS was actually lighter and had fewer issues overall.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

IMO, you can tell it must have been a while as LXDE just isn't aging well anymore. It still works, but feels almost as archaic as Trinity at this point.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I installed it to see how it worked. LXDE does feel archaic and I had some issues with codecs and hardware so its just not worth it. Peppermint is just as light and does everything right.
Site Moderator
bin

Post by bin »

I liked, and still like, LXDE. Sadly the move to GTK3 has made the Openbox themes a bit hit and miss in how they look.

Back in the day when I was using LXLE I used to use xfwm4 instead of Openbox to handle the windows and that still works just as nicely today with wattOS. Of course you can always add xfdesktop to do the desktop instead of PCManFm. Once you add in Thunar you start to ask Why not use Xfce, but I think it's a question of what floats your boat.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Exactly thats why I went to XFCE at that time/
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Just gave up on wattOS as Ive moved on to distros with much better features and design.
Site Moderator