My top 5 Linux distros so far this year

Discussion on Linux distributions
CaptNoize

Re: My top 5 Linux distros so far this year

Post by CaptNoize »

The only distro I use is MX Linux on my 2 desktops. It works so well for me, there's no reason to try something else. I had the newest version running on my shop computer all day, yesterday, and I updated it with the newest updates. A stellar performer..! :D
I'm not like the rest of you... I just needed something that would work well,and I didn't have time to experiment with different distros. After the Q4OS fiasco, I wasn't sure I would find a good distro, till CC recommended MX Linux.
wove

Post by wove »

I think that is really the way to go. I have my Fedora SilverBlue install on my desktop. It is the real go to when I need to get things done. I have no real interest in changing it to something else. Being retired though I have lots of play time, and a bunch of ancient old laptops I like to play around with. If something does not work out, I putz to see if I can make it work. If I can make it work I feel satisfied, but in honesty when and if I do get it working, I am quickly bored with it and move on to something new.

But when I need to pay the bills, do taxes, check investments, order something or maybe draw or write something, I go use the desktop that I know just works. My tendency is to just leave it alone and let the provider of the OS do its updates or whatnot. Generally speaking that works just as you want. The system remains stable and ready to go whenever I need it.

When I get tired of some computer and decide to pass it on, I install Endless OS on it and give it away. Endless OS is not for everyone, but it is a close to a failsafe as any Linux bistro is. I am very confident it will run well and not act up in anyway that will need to involve me.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I use to use Mepis a Debian based distro that eventually died but the Mepis and anti-X communities joined forces and created MX Linux. Thats how I got started with it and its been a good distro ever since. Various versions have quirks and they get worked out over time. That said I ran a website called distroratings.com and we did extensive testing and reviews on distros, so Ive always been trying and testing distros,probably in the hundreds by now.
I have my main system running MX then I have testing systems that include mini-pcs and laptops I use for testing. I run probably up to 10 distros at a time but always have my main system. I dont use VM as I prefer to test directly on hardware so I use older ssds to do installs I can then swap out of my test systems.
Right now Ive got 14 old laptops from 6th gen down to 1st gen. My wife uses two and one is a backup for her. The rest I use foi my tech work or testing of distros. With my Lenovo/HP mini-pcs I now have another platform to play with and considering I also use Win10/11, Ive got a lot of installs in the house right now. I presently have 6 desktop systems with the Alienware R1 at the top and the Dell 7010 at the bottom. Add to that my Chromebooks and Chromeboxes and I rarely get bored and have the ability to test issues for clients.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

After LibraNet Linux died off, I've never found anything Debian-based that managed to be anywhere near as good as LibraNet, nor even superior to base Debian. So I rarely use anything based on Debian for very long, as invariably I realize that it would take less time to get a usable system with a base Debian install rather than the various distro's that are based on it. I do tend to still test them in a VM just to see if they're something that's even worth my putting on bare metal, but there's not many that ever pass the test. I am up to 9 laptops right now, mostly Ryzens of 4000-6000 series due to Intels failures in 10th-11th gen to be even mildly competitive. I do have a SINGULAR Intel laptop, that's Jasper Lake Celeron (basically same timeframe as 11th gen core).
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Xandros was my first distro, I bought it at Babbages and really enjoyed using it, but it died off.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

MOst of the distro's that were big in the late 90's early 00's have long since died off at this point.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Right now Im primarily using Zorin even though I still have MX installed. Its nice when Ive got the hardware to run multiple systems and can test freely.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I'm actually primarily using Endeavour, for the first time since the early 00's, Debian is NOT my primary OS right now.
CaptNoize

Post by CaptNoize »

I thought I was weird for having 7 guitars, but you guys got me waaaaay beat with laptops... :roll: :lol:
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I mean, it's not like I've ever DENIED having issues...