My top 5 Linux distros so far this year

Discussion on Linux distributions
crosscourt

My top 5 Linux distros so far this year

Post by crosscourt »

Posting from most used to least used distro.

1. MX Linux KDE 21.2
2.Zorin OS 16.2
3. Q4OS KDE 4.10
4. Peppermint OS 11
5. KDE Neon

Peppermint is the lightest of the bunch and works great on my older hardware.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Re: My top 5 Linux distros so far this year

Post by tlmiller »

Oddly, I'd not put Debian at the top of my list...

1. Endeavour OS
2. Debian 11
3. OpenSUSE Tumbleweed
4. KDE Neon
5. Debian SID
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Oddly Ive got three Debian based distros on my list, Q4OS, MX and Peppermint.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

MX Linux KDE has issues with wifi auto connect and enabling it for all users plus KDE Wallet doesnt work in my case right now. Peppermint also has its own issues with wifi auto connect and whats interesting is, both MX and Peppermint typically dont connect at all, most of the time, even when done manually.
Zorin, Q4OS and Neon have no issues. If its a KDE issue, then why is it that Neon with the newest KDE and Q4OS with an older KDE version are unaffected.

May have to revisit my top 5 list and look at some other distros. For now MX Linux is out as there are a few other issues as well, along with Peppermint.
Might look at Feren OS as another KDE version and also look at Mint Cinnamon.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I don't have the wifi issue on any of my machines myself. The KDE Wallet I don't use, I think it's the worst designed piece of KDE application there is. I find it to be worse than useless, so don't use it personally.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I also hate KDE Wallet. This is the first time Ive had this issue and honestly time to move on.
Site Moderator
wove

Post by wove »

I have had trouble with wifi connection in both Fedora SilverBlue and Kinoite. Since one is Gnome and One KDE, I assume the problem is in the core and not necessarily related to either Gnome or KDE.

I find a comprehensive wallet system a very useful component in any OS. KDE's wallet is not working for me in Kinoite, and I really miss the username password autofill in Konqueror. The KDE wallet is accessible and seems to function fine as an application, but it is not communicating with other KDE/Plama apps. I assume that is a KDE problem and there is nothing to do beyond just waiting for it to be fixed. I had thought it might be do to some broken or missing kio slaves, but lack the skills to trouble shoot.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Ive had issues that are similar on non-KDE distros but they are all Debian. Curious that Q4OS KDE is the only one that didnt.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

All my systems work fine with Q4OS and Neon and auto connect. MX wont auto connect with any of my systems but you can do it manually. My e4310 laptops dont work at all, no wifi with Peppermint and MX.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Wifi issue solved as it turned out it was two issues. First the original wifi cards werent being seen properly+, driver issue so swapped them out for newer cards and no issues. The auto connect issue also solved as Peppermint did it by itself after the card swapout and in MX I enabled allow connection for all users and it works fine now.
Site Moderator