Certificates

Report problems with the forums
wove

Certificates

Post by wove »

With a fresh install of Firefox or Gnome-Web I always get a pop-up saying the site is insecure with an invalid certificate. Of course I just go ahead and proceed to the site and forum and all works just fine. On subsequent launches of the browser it goes directly to the site without any problem.

Is there an issue with the certificate, is it expired or self signed? My local NextCloud server provides a similar warning because it has an invalid Arch signed certificate. In any event I was wondering if that would be something that would scare away first time users.
tlmiller

Re: Certificates

Post by tlmiller »

Odd, I haven't seen this myself.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

No issue that Im aware of and I havent had this problem at all.
Site Moderator
wove

Post by wove »

I do see a message anytime I come here either the first time I use a new or newly installed browser. It occurs sometimes after a browser has been updated. Specifically the message is:

This site is insecure.
This site has presented an identity that belongs to another website.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I use 5 different browsers on two OS, many are brand new installs and I havent incurred any issues. Ill discuss it with Dai but I dont believe there are any issues we are aware of.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

wove wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 2:23 pm I do see a message anytime I come here either the first time I use a new or newly installed browser. It occurs sometimes after a browser has been updated. Specifically the message is:

This site is insecure.
This site has presented an identity that belongs to another website.
Hmmm, do you come straight to the forums, or do you go to the homepage and then click on forums?
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Ive tried it both ways and I dont get any warnings about the site being insecure.
Site Moderator
wove

Post by wove »

I have no idea whether this is my browser, my browser settings, my network settings, or my ISP. I go this message this morning with Gnome-Web, Safari, Firefox and Vivaldi. I have never had any problems with anything here, but I do need on first run dismiss the "Accept the risk and proceed" to get in. I was at my son's for lunch, borrowed his computer running Win10 and using Chrome and got the same alert. He uses a different ISP, so I am guessing the problem is probably upstream from us.
dai_trying

Post by dai_trying »

I haven't seen any errors in the logs, and haven't had this happen to me at all. I'm not really sure where to start trouble shooting this either, the certificate is supplied by the webhost and there should not be any issues with it. and as nobody else has had it happen (or not reported it) I'm not sure where else to start looking...

My site has been set to force https and so you should never see that "Accept the risk and continue" warning, so I'm completely baffled.

I use several pc's, laptops, tablets, phones to access this site and have never had that happen to me. I also use my site whenever I am testing any other machines I'm asked to look at (usually slow running or some minor issues) and that has been at various locations around the UK.

Could you post (or p.m.) a screenshot of the certificate details the next time it happens so I can make sure that's not the problem.

EDIT:
@wove: Do you have this problem with any other sites or just this one?
dai_trying

Post by dai_trying »

I've been looking into this and have found a way to invoke the issue you (@wove) are having, it happens when you use the url www.dai-trying.com but not when using just dai-trying.com. I am going to contact my host to see what we can do about it, Thank you for reporting this and I will post again when I have some more news on it.