Monitor Issue

Discussion of hardware related issues
CaptNoize

Re: Monitor Issue

Post by CaptNoize »

I don't game,so I just ordered what I could get at a decent price. This new monitor should be here by tomorrow. BTW.. I used to work for a vending company in the eighties. One of the games I used to play was Terra Cresta. Is anyone here familiar with it..? It was a really cool shoot em up space game. It did super well,along with Double Dragons, Shinobi, and Rampage. I know... I'm showing my age now :oops: :roll:
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I vaguely remember Terra Cresta in the arcades. My oldie favorite was Galaga in the older arcades/ All the other games Im very familiar with. Retrogaming right now is hot and many people are playing much older games. I dont buy gaming monitors as I need a balance for other things.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I was an oddity. My favorite arcade games were Ivan "Ironman" Stewarts super offroad, and then the Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat games. Never really played anything else more than like a couple times.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Thats not odd at all as many tended to play only certain arcade games because they liked them or wanted to be good at them. Sega Rally, Virtua Fighter,, Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat were also some of my favorites.
Site Moderator
CaptNoize

Post by CaptNoize »

Monitor showed up today; was packaged well, and not damaged. Hooked it up, and Auto adjusted, works fine. The mount went on it fine. I really don't notice any difference, but like I said before, I'm not a gamer. It has a tilt feature,which is really nice.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

In general use you probably wouldnt see a big difference and your former display was a pretty good one. Not seeing a difference is a good sign.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Speaking of monitors, someone posted in r/thinkpad that they found the T14s G3 400-nit low power panel for $65, so have that ordered. Coming from China, so not expected until December, but I can tolerate the 300-nit panel for another month.
CaptNoize

Post by CaptNoize »

So, I started doing some research Friday nite, on YouTube on how to diagnose a Hp w1907 monitor. Seems the common problem with it is the wires burn off the backlight CFL bulbs. There's several videos on how to disassemble the monitor. I will give it a shot, and also check the caps, to make sure they're not all exploded,which seems to be the second most common problem in this monitor. This monitor is in mint condition for being 14 years old. It wasn't used that much. It's worth a shot to see if I can repair it. If I can't, nothing lost,just a little of my time and effort. ;)
wove

Post by wove »

LCD Monitors/TVs are very cheaply made compared to older CRTs, but in many ways that makes them much easier to take apart, figure out what is broken and fix them. LCD TVs especially have separate component boards which are often generic stock boards and can be sourced and replaced without too much efforts. High frequency components often fail from the high frequency causing a structural failure in the solder joints which can be fixed by reflowing the solder. I place those in the oven at ~300F for 15-20 minutes. I have found this to be especially true of Samsung products.

I have had excellent luck sourcing replacement/upgrade LCD panels from Chinese sources. Very often you can find parts that are drop in replacements at very reasonable prices. I upgraded my wife's X220 to a much nice display than Lenovo provided with a drop-in replacement ordered from China. It took USPS longer to get the panel to me from the point of entry than it did for the Chinese company to get it to the US.

I would imagine that @CaptNoize will have a fun and interesting time digging inside a broken monitor. Good luck :)
CaptNoize

Post by CaptNoize »

No Wove....
I didn't have fun tearing that monitor apart. I followed the YouTube videos exactly, and right away,broke the screen bezel. :x It wouldn't come apart like the one on the video. Nevertheless, I continued on, and disassembled it to diagnose the known problems. Well, suffice it to say, the caps were fine. At least there was no leakage,or bulging, of those components. I pushed on and disassembled the rest of it down to the backlights. There, I found no damage on either of the backlights. They were intact, no broken wires. I checked the contacts, the transformer, and protection circuit. Nothing, all good. At this point, I was thoroughly frustrated, so guess what..I t went in the dumpster. I really don't have the patience to do diagnostics without a schematic. It could have been anything. This is why my friend who works on computers told me to junk it. :x :x :roll: