Monitor Issue

Discussion of hardware related issues
CaptNoize

Monitor Issue

Post by CaptNoize »

I posted this before, but it disappeared. I got my computer working where I wanted it,then my monitor failed. It's an Hp 1907 19" LCD display. It keeps shutting off. My service tech said I could get a Dell 27" for $ 185. So he told me to junk this one. I found one on Amazon, a 27" IPS display for $158 delivered to my door. I'm not a gamer, I just need something reliable. Are these any good..?I'm not familiar with IPS technology. This won't be used that much, since I'll switch it with the one 'I'm using for my home computer. Always something.... :roll:
crosscourt

Re: Monitor Issue

Post by crosscourt »

Ive never heard of that brand of monitor but whatever works.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

IPS was for years the "high end" standard on LCD's. It's been eclipsed for the best LCD's at this point with AMOLED, but it's still a very good technology. IPS (in plane switching) has much better contrast than the old TN panels, so the blacks are blacker and the colors (can be) brighter and more vibrant. It's only REAL downside is it's a slower tech than TN, so the refresh rate wasn't for years as good for gaming (although they now have 140Hz IPS panels, so this is realistically no longer a weakness). Also IPS tends to have MUCH better viewing angles than TN panels. Now, AMOLED generally takes everything good about IPS and does it even better. But it's very expensive (currently) when compared to IPS in anything large. AMOLED is now quite common in most high end phones, and it isn't unusual to see it in the best monitors you can get.
CaptNoize

Post by CaptNoize »

The monitor is actually made by KOORUI 27 inch FHD. I never heard of them either, but they had decent reviews. I understand, it's all in the "eye of the beholder" or owner. Whichever you prefer.
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

CaptNoize wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 9:44 pm The monitor is actually made by KOORUI 27 inch FHD. I never heard of them either, but they had decent reviews. I understand, it's all in the "eye of the beholder" or owner. Whichever you prefer.
The key to buying LCD's is to know that there's only about 6 companies in the world that actually produce LCD panels (might be 8, but I think it's 6). So if it has good specs, it's going to be a good panel. They simply don't have a choice there. Sure, it might not be as pretty, or have as much adjustability as the more expensive brands, but the important part is that the panel is probably the same panel some of those high end monitors are using. It's the reason when I bought my ultra-wide I went with Z-Edge (a company I had also never heard of at the time), because I don't really CARE about how good the UI is for the monitor, I only really care about how good the LCD is, and for the specs there was none cheaper at this size. And I've been quite happy with it.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Its actually 10 manufacturers but thats a bit deceiving as there are 23 LCD manufacturers presently that specialize in various aspects of the market.
Many companies like Koorui that are Chinese are part of a group of smaller companies that made displays for better known brands. If you add the really specialized LCD makers the list grows to over 30. That said when I bought my Dell monitor I did it because it not only was well priced but backed by a good warranty I knew would be hamdled by them.
Site Moderator
wove

Post by wove »

I have never had a high opinion of Dell computers, but Dell has always has excellent monitors. I have never owned a Dell monitor, but I have seen many in use and I know many people that swear by them. The ones I have seen in use produce and excellent display with great viewing angles and very nice and accurate color. They are also a nicely designed piece of hardware.
CaptNoize

Post by CaptNoize »

Best Buy has the Dell 27" monitor on sale for $ 185 in my area.
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

At some point I do want to upgrade my desktop desk to daul 27" (QHD/1440P) monitors now that they're coming down in price. But that day isn't today yet.
CaptNoize

Post by CaptNoize »

I switched my home computer monitor which is a Vizio 27" Tv with the Hp monitor that is malfunctioning. I will see if it continues to malfunction in here. i don't even want to tear it apart to see what's going on. It's probably bad caps.. They're not fun to fix. High voltage is not something I like repairing.