Plasma by KDE 5.26 released

Discussion of software apps
tlmiller

Plasma by KDE 5.26 released

Post by tlmiller »

KDE team has released the latest version of their plasma desktop. Read more here
crosscourt

Re: Plasma by KDE 5.26 released

Post by crosscourt »

Ill take a look at it as Ive got a drive with Neon on it. I use Zorin now so Im not in KDE all the time any more.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

And Neon did already update to it.
ksnip_20221011-200754.png
ksnip_20221011-200754.png (97.91 KiB) Viewed 899 times
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Thanks for the heads up as I havent gotten to Neon yet. Neon has become my main KDE distro as it stays updated without jumping thru hoops.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Hate the way Neon updates as it downloads, then forces a restart, then updates and reboots. Didnt see anything major but it does feel a bit faster than last time I used it.
Site Moderator
wove

Post by wove »

Endless, Silverblue, Kinoite and Pop OS have very nice transparent update mechanisms. Updates are handled via their software centers, Gnome Software, Discover and PopShop. Applications and in the case of Flatpaks their runtimes are all done transparently in the background much the same way that Android, iOS, and the Mac and MS app stores handle application updates.

I enjoy that no user involvement is required and no restarts are required for applications. If you are using an application at the time it update, you can just continue to use the current version until such time as you quit it and reopen it to the new version.

System software updates are downloaded in the background. There is never nag or any indication that it has happened. The system just waits quietly until you restart, then the system is updated. You can manually check for updates and if system updates are available you can select update and restart. That commits you and as soon as the new software is downloaded, the system will do a restart and update.

In my workflow I rarely restart and for the most part I have all the applications I use always open, letting the system just automatically suspend when I walk away. I really appreciate this update procedure because it never messes with my work. I think the ideal system should always do whatever it needs to do in such a way that the user never needs to get involved in the process.
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I uninstall all gui updaters and helpers. No appstream on any of my systems. No packagekit on any of my systems. No unattended upgrades. I hate that stuff. No plasma-discover. Just gets in my way. apt/zypper/pacman/xbps-install. My systems will do what *I* want *when* I want it. Not when someone else wants.
wove

Post by wove »

As Linux has matured over the years that has become one of its major strengths. While I do very much enjoy the more recent moves toward making system operations transparent to the user, it retains its ability to be very hands on. There really is no OS out there besides Linux that readily supports such a wide variety of work flows and work habits.
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

By far. All other OS's expect you to be as mindless as possible and just trust it to do everything. I've never been good at trusting my OS.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

You would be surprised how much you have to rely on the command prompt in Windows at times even though overall the GUI works well. Both of you are experienced users but the vast majority of everyday users dont have that advantage so they need GUI to handle many things. Doesnt mean they dont learn as they go and of course theres always a time in Linux and Windows when you have to use the command line.
Site Moderator