Discussion of software apps
crosscourt

Cpu-X alternative to Cpu-Z for Linux

Post by crosscourt »

Site Moderator
tlmiller

Re: Cpu-X alternative to Cpu-Z for Linux

Post by tlmiller »

I use cpu-x on all my systems. The only downside to it is that it relies on libcpuid, which is REALLY slow to release updates, so newer CPU's will report as old core architectures for often 6+ months after release (such as my Barcelo Inspiron still shows as Cezanne on the latest version of cpu-x because libcpuid is outdated).
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Ive been using it on Zorin for quite some time but my hardware isnt that new so no issues with cpu identification. Want to see more apps like this for Linux as I miss the variety of system apps I have with Windows.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Yeah, I like the apps like this. I just found out that libcpuid did just recently release a new version, so hopefully that gets packages quickly in Debian (I'm running the SID version of cpu-x/libcpuid) so that my Inspiron 5425 can show the correct architecture codename. It still gets all the relevant information correct though, even if it does get the codename wrong. Didn't realize, but this also makes sense as to why CPU-X hasn't been updated, as I looked at the CPU-X dev page and the new version of that (4.5) requires libcpuid 6.
ksnip_20221012-113519.png
ksnip_20221012-113519.png (70.1 KiB) Viewed 476 times
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

My favorite app like this is in Windows Hwinfo64. It has system info and real time monitoring as well. It also has some added features like driver update.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Been so long since I used Windows to any extent I had to google it to remember what hwinfo64 looked like. Not one of my favorites. Very cluttered looking. I'd rather less information presented in a better looking manner than being complete and ugly. If it's going to be ugly, it should be CLI only. :D Which sounds weird, but CLI, I'm totally cool with something that looks like trash but gets me the information I want. I really don't care about the aesthetics of CLI apps, but I do about gui apps.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Your pretty much alone with that opinion as hwinfo64 is the most popular software of its kind in Windows. There are settings so you can decide what you want to see and unclutter it a bit. Im a GUI guy and would prefer to keep it that way except when the unusual happens.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Nowhere near alone. I know a ton of linux reviewers that are similar. Maybe minority, but given I don't actually know HOW to use Windows anymore, I'm already in that minority.
wove

Post by wove »

“tlmiller” wrote:I don't actually know HOW to use Windows
Windows works similar to Plasma, but it is not as configurable and it is missing a lot of things to make it useful.
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Yeah, but if you go back to Windows 98 SE & Windows 2000, I was a true power user. I knew how to get just about anything done in those OS's. Compared to today, where one time at my last job where I was forced to use a Windows machine and someone asked me to make some changes to a Windows server and I couldn't figure out how to RDP to a Windows box. I mean, it's the protocol that's CREATED by the Windows team, and I couldn't remember how to do it on Windows instead of linux (I did eventually remember).