Spiral Linux 11.220925 released

Discussion on Linux distributions
crosscourt

Spiral Linux 11.220925 released

Post by crosscourt »

Debian based distro with support for a large number of DEs including KDE,Gnome and Cinnamon to name a few. It has excellent hardware support and extensive printer support. Multimedia codecs installed by default and is easy to use yet offers many options for advanced users.

More here, https://distrowatch.com/11634
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Re: Spiral Linux 11.220925 released

Post by crosscourt »

Probably going to download this after reading about it here, https://makeuseof.com/what-is-spiral-linux/
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I tested one of hte older releases of this, and was left horribly unimpressed. It was buggy and very ugly, having definitely kept that geckolinux theme colors. Be interesting to see how far it's come.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Im downloading the KDE version to try. ZDNet was very complimentary toward Spiral and they reviewed it earlier this year.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Running it thru live media and so far it looks good. I dont see any issues and software selection is excellent. All hardware was detected including both my printers. Im running it on my Dell Latitude E6440 laptop. LibreOffice, Clementine,Firefox ESR 102, Thunderbird, VLC to name a few. KDE 5.20.5 no surprise but its stable and performs very well. The question is, what does it offer than you cant get from say Q4OS KDE or MX Linux KDE, both having some nice features built in. Probably not going to install it as I it doesnt offer anything additionally that I can see and Neon offers a more updated distro.
Definitely a distro for people to try as its a stable well done Debian based distro.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Whats nice is they are using the Neon repos for some aspects of the distro. They are also using updated wifi drivers from Debian testing to solve some issues. The devs seem to be making an honest effort to clean up some of the issues found with Debian Stable just as Q4OS and MX Linux have done.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Reinstalled Spiral Linux and my experience was excellent. Printers/Wifi detected, install was very smooth, choice of apps is excellent and not too heavy, allowing you to customize it further. Codecs are included along with non-free software and all needed apps for first boot are there like Firefox,Thunderbird, VLC,Clementine, Synaptic and LibreOffice. K3b though wasnt installed and I added Chrome myself by downloading it online and using GDebi to install it. Its Vanilla Debian with a few perks but if you want an easier Debian install this is a great choice. Most of the issues I ran into the first time are gone and nothing really to report.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Spiral uses BTRFS file system by default so be sure to change that when you install if you prefer Ext4. The dev also did Gecko Linux(OpenSUSE) and Spiral follows that same pattern with Debian. Create a better version of an existing distro to make things easier for users. If things go well this will probably replace Q4OS and MX Linux as my primary KDE distro.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Spiral uses the 6.0 kernel even though it still uses KDE 5.20.5. Its corrected the issues with ethernet connections which was a problem early on. The devs really took the time to correct problems but also try to keep Spiral clean and prevent bloat. Even for minimalists youll like what you see overall. Resource usage is in the 650-700mb range which is higher than Q4OS but lower than Neon or MX Linux.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I originally installed Spiral on my Dell E4310 and E6440 but decided to try it on my Dell Optiplex 7010. It uses a Geforce gt 740 video card and a very recent Netgear wifi USB device. No issues at all as the Netgear wifi works great and no driver issues with the video card. Typically there is a narrow group of USB wifi devices that will work but not this time. Tested all my more recent wifi devices and they all work. I have to say that they dont work in MX Linux that uses the same kernel so something is different.
Site Moderator