Elisa

Discussion of software apps
tlmiller

Elisa

Post by tlmiller »

Has anyone made the switch to Elisa? If you're unfamiliar, this is the official music player for the KDE Plasma desktop. I've been testing it out recently, and gotta say, for how long it's been officially released, it's very limited. It doesn't go download album covers, there's no way to manually tell it to download album covers. It's FAR slower than Clementine was at building the database of music you have. When starting, it's REALLY slow at verifying the musical database (takes nearly a minute to actually become usable after launching for me). Saved playlists won't load probably because it expects a specific file extension, but when saving, it doesn't append ANY file extension.

But for the good things, it works great once it's loaded the database. It's actively developed (Clementine development stopped in 2016, so it's 6+ years since there's been any). I'll probalby try to live with it just because it IS actively developed, but...gotta say currently I don't get why you'd choose that over the massively faster and more feature-rich clementine.
crosscourt

Re: Elisa

Post by crosscourt »

I still use Clementine as I prefer it. Elisa just doesnt fo it for me. That said I spend most of my time in Zorin so really dont use either much anymore.
Site Moderator
wove

Post by wove »

About the only music I listen to on a computer is internet radio. Elisa does that well and I have taken to using it. The other day I installed Armbian's Debian Sid based KDE on the Pinebook Pro. Elisa was one of the first applications I installed. Being well retired and around the house most of the time I have gotten in the habit of playing my own music collection through my the better speakers of my home system, so I keep almost no music on my computers.

Elisa comes with a few suggested stations, but no way to search for more. It also seems a bit convoluted to add new stations as it does not appear to import station playlists generated by other music players. I was able to add my own dozen or so stations though after a few minutes of fiddling. Elisa does do a nice job of buffering. Even when I am downloading an iso or just surfing about Elisa's buffering is sufficient to keep it from skipping.

It is not as feature rich as Clementine or other players, but for what I am using it for it does a nice job and I am content with it.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

There are few K-apps that I actually like and tend to pick apps that meet my needs.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

crosscourt wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 2:15 am There are few K-apps that I actually like and tend to pick apps that meet my needs.
Yeah, overall I'm not a fan of a lot of the k-apps either. There are, as you say, a few, and I do have a tendency to like QT apps (probably only because they match better), but k-apps tend to...suck.
wove

Post by wove »

I tend to agree that K-apps overall are just not that good. KDE3/Trinity had a very nice collection of applications for the time. Small fast efficient and a nice fit with the DE. KDE 4 saw the rise of lots of big over crowded applications that to me took more energy to use than they were worth. KDE 5’s big downfall for me is that it almost seems to not even care anymore about applications.

I like Contact. In the morning it provide a nice full overview of the day. And its components are stand alone units that can be used by themselves during the day. I like Office/Calligra. It reminds me of old ClarisWorks and the idea of creating complex document via using frames for content feels like a nice workflow.

Graphic apps are a real mixed bag for me. I have never understood what the point of Gwenview. DigiKam is everything except easy to figure out and use. I do like Krita and Karbon. Both of which are quite useful for me, without needing the commitment required by InkScape or Gimp.

There are a few KDE apps that I think just get overlooked. I find KTorrent as useful as Transmission, but I think more KDE distros include Transmission than include Transmission. The same can be said for Kparted. Kjots and Basket are fine capable notebooks that are mostly ignored by KDE.

KDE has a nice tweakable desktop, with a very powerful and well integrated set of apis. At the moment KDE seems to be pushing the tweakable desktop and not doing much with underlying power of the APIs.