Lenovo Thinkpad T14s Gen3 AMD
Lenovo Thinkpad T14 Gen2 AMD
Lenovo Thinkpad T14 Gen1 AMD
Lenovo Thinkpad L14 Gen1 AMD
Lenovo K14 AMD
Dell Inspiron 5425
Dell Inspiron 7415 2-in-1
Dell Latitude 5420

TECHNICALLY I still have the Lenovo ThinkPad T495, although it's just waiting for me to get rid of it.

The T14s G3A, T14 G2A, T14 G1A, Inspiron 5485 and Inspiron 7415 are all 8 core, 16 threaded machines.
The K14 and L14 Gen1A are 6 core, 12 thread
The Latitude is still a quad core.

To be honest, all the machines are still quite fast and usable. My issue with the T495 is that due to only having 8 threads, I can only run 1 VM concurrently, and much of the time when running VM's, I want to be running 2 as I'm comparing things. Yes, first world issues. :D
Last edited by tlmiller on Sun Sep 25, 2022 6:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
crosscourt

Re: Haven't heard this in a while!!

Post by crosscourt »

My situation is very different, as I have to look towards being able to use hardware where I can get reasonably up to date bios updates. Right now 5th/6th gen Dell laptops either have recent or somewhat recent bios which helps in many ways, security being one of the more important. 4th gen and earlier are very vulnerable and thus better suited to being used with Linux than Win10. Not sure if Ill keep the two 6440s as I could use the 3460s to run Linux. Ill see where prices go as I might go to 8th gen with Win11 earlier and phase out the 5th gen systems. All depends on prices and 11th gen might drop in price faster than expected given the speed of change in the market.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

So, after it was scheduled for delivery yesterday by 7PM, it now shows "we'll let you know as soon as we have an update" on it's tracking. So UPS has lost it. Will have to wait at least a few days before they'll let me open a claim, but it's definitelyi looking like I'm not getting an Inspiron 5425.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Ive had that happen with UPS and typically it gets held up in the processing center before delivery. Typically shows up in 24-48 hours.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I've never had UPS find my package after losing it, but you were right, they did indeed refind it and deliver it today. Best part of it was that the 1TB SSD that was in it was a SK Hynix BC711 2230. So I was able to put that into the Lenovo K14 (that I'm typing this on right now) and reinstall OpenSUSE Tumbleweed, but NOW with 1TB SSD, I have enough space to run several VM's on it with the upgrade to a 1TB from the 512GB.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

They track items so closely now its rare they deliver an item to the wrong address but it does happen and sometimes they get stolen.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

So far it runs REALLY well w/ Debian. Of course, it's got the npreining repos enabled. One oddity, I did a hw-probe (twice to verify I wasn't going nuts), and both times it recognized in the run as a Inspiron 7415 2-in-1, NOT an Inspiron 5425. Nothing else makes this mistake, inxi correctly reads as a 5425. Weird.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

That is weird. Do these two laptops share some hardware aspect that hw-probe is keying on?
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Not really, other than being Dell Inspirons with touchscreens. The 7415 is a Lucienne CPU 360* convertible 16:9 2-in-1. This is a Barcelo 16:10 clamshell laptop, so it's not even the same version of the CPU core (Lucienne is Zen2 despite being 5000, Barcelo is Zen3 refresh), the same aspect screen, or the same physical design. Which also means the 7415 has the accelerometers and such to detect when it's turned, which the 5425 will be missing.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Thats truly odd.
Site Moderator