Haven't heard this in a while!!

Discussion of hardware related issues
tlmiller

Haven't heard this in a while!!

Post by tlmiller »

I got another one. Found an Inspiron 5425 (Ryzen 7 5825U, 16GB, 1TB, 1920x1200) for a good price on ebay, and in near new condition (open box, never actually used). So picked it up in order to get rid of the old T495. Since it only comes with 16GB ram, downgrading the Latitude 5420 to 16GB, and will put the 32GB that was in there in the 5425 (2 DIMM's + 2280 slot, fully upgradable!!!). Also moved around some SSD's so that the 5425 would have a 2TB for it when it arrives. Looking forward to it. The T495 shouldn't take long to sell, it's going to be sold with 32GB DDR4, 1TB NVMe + 512GB NVMe in WWAN slot, so I expect that'll go pretty easy and I can still get a few hundred for it, probably not much over $300 though. Whatever, I've really been wanting to replace it anymore, the 4 core limitation's been really irking me.
crosscourt

Re: Haven't heard this in a while!!

Post by crosscourt »

I mostly live in the 4 core world but Im not as cutting edge as you are with my laptops. Glad you found such a great deal. Ive been really happy with my Dell laptops both with reliability and performance. All my m.2 laptops are running 512gb nvme ssds and with some of the laptops m.2 is the only option.
They all run 16gb of ram versus my older laptops.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Yeah, it's almost unheard of anymore for laptops to have a 2.5" spot. The larger laptops in the gaming and mobile workstation class will often have 2 full size m.2 slots, but the mainstream market is moving beyond having only 1 2280 slot to having only 1 2242 slot (several Lenovo's have moved to this including my K14, I read at least 1 HP, I'm not AWARE of any Dells yet, but if it hasn't happened, it will). Incidentally, while they're WAY beyond what I'm willing to pay, I saw m.2 2242 SINGLE SIDED 2TB drives for sale the other day. $250 for the cheapest one...
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Im slowly moving away from my older laptops and eventually 6th gen will be the oldest. Because Im retired I dont ditch any hardware unless its really time to move on. Dont have the cash to replace at the same pace so its very measured.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Humorously, for Intel, my oldest is 11th gen. I only own a single Intel machine at this time, the Latitude 5420. It also is only quad core, but when compared to the T495, is MASSIVELY faster quad core. Also I have an orange case for it, and that's REALLY pretty.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Id love to be using Ryzen instead of Intel. Agree with your comments above as it wouldnt make sense to use 2.5 after the 6th gen particularly with most notebooks being Ultrabooks. The way prices are right now Sata and nvme cost the same so its an easy decision.
My Dell Latitude 5470really like this laptop) can use either but thats the exception. My HP Elitedesk G3 can also use both.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

It's kinda weird. Once you hit 8th gen Intel but 4000 series AMD, the Intel cost more new, but was NOTICEBLY slower, fewer cores, fewer threads, lesser IGP. Now that they're used, the price of the Intel systems is PLUMMETING, while the AMD systems are going about a more normal depreciation curve. Took a few years for people to realize the AMD Ryzen 4000/5000 absolutely dominated in almost every fashion everything coming from INtel at the time (more cores, more threads, faster IGP, cooler running, more efficient). This culminated in the 10th gen Comet Lake, or as I like to call it, the nuclear trash. Hottest running mobile chips Intel ever released (as a generational product overall), so bad that in ultra thin systems with the "correct" 15-watt TDP CPU's, they would sometimes thermally throttle to the point as to be slower than their predecessors in 8th gen (9th gen barely existed, so we'll just ignore it entirely, and it was barely different than 8th gen anyway). Meanwhile, the 11th gen ALSO ran cooler than 10th gen, and got a GIGANTIC improvement on IGP so that they're actually competitive with AMD Ryzens on the IGP, while also getting an extremely minor improvement on efficiency.
Basically, I guess I'm saying when you start shopping for newer than 6th gen, 8th gen is fine to use, 11th gen is fine to use as long as it's a significant bit cheaper than a similar build Ryzen 4000, but avoid 10th gen.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Because Im using Windows and Linux I have to be careful what cpus I choose but yes, prices will be amazing by the time Im ready. Win10 is done in October 2025 so that will be the time Ill need to move away from older hardware. Wont be buying as much hardware as I use to but Ill try to buy as much performance as possible. 11th gen will probably be a starting point by then.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Here are the laptops I have right now,
All Dell Latitudes,

e4310
3-e6440
2-3460
2-e7270
2-e5470
e7470

e6440 is still a pretty good performer but the e4310,3330,3350 and 3460s are a bit slow with the 3350 the best of the group. I could run Linux on some of them but the e4310 for instance only supports Sata 300. Havent decided what to do at this point. They all run Win10 with few issues and the 3460 may be slow but the battery life is phenomenal.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Just recycled the 4310,6440{had screen issue} and 3330. Will keep the other two 6440s for now.
Site Moderator