Medical issues

Talk about anything you like not related to the above forums
CaptNoize

Re: Medical issues

Post by CaptNoize »

Both of my parents had cataract surgery. I was here to care for them, but, they said it wasn't pleasant. You should be ok,tho. That's come a long way since they had their surgeries. Just take it easy, CC, and heal at your own pace,after you have yours done.
CaptNoize

Post by CaptNoize »

I had that molar pulled yesterday.I didn't get anesthesia, since my doctor was concerned about me maybe having a cardiac issue. Eight shots of Xylacane, and the torture began. It took him 20 agonizing minutes of twisting, tugging and then finally, breaking it, to get it out... He gave a script for Vicadin, and I got it filled on my way home. Even with that narcotic, which I'm allergic to, (opioids make me very ill) so I spent yesterday afternoon and evening in alot of pain, and very sick.
I'm still in alot of pain today, but it's mostly soreness, from all the trauma. The upside to it, is, he was able to excise the infection from the abcess, and stitch me up.
It's no wonder I'm a miserable S.O.B.
The Torture Never Stops.... :x :x :evil: :x
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Sorry you had to go through that. My cataract surgery is on Monday 3/4 so lets hope it goes ok.
Site Moderator
CaptNoize

Post by CaptNoize »

I really hope that surgery goes well for you, CC. From what I know about it, and how it has advanced in the years since my parents had it done, you should be fine. As with any surgery, you just have to take it easy afterwards. Don't go rushing anything. I'm still hurting today, but, I think it's healing pretty fast. It's still God awful sore.... :roll: :evil:
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

The surgery actually takes about 15 minutes per eye, but with the prep and recovery Ill be there a few hours. Ill be out of action for about a week so lets hope there arent any issues.
Site Moderator
CaptNoize

Post by CaptNoize »

I went to my Dr. yesterday and he told me I'll probably be on Xarelto the rest of my life. I read his notes and he seems to think I'm in pretty good shape for my age. I don't go in there and complain about every little thing. But, with my diabetes, and neuropathy, I feel like 💩💩 most of the time. I'm going to try to exercise more, and see if that helps.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I walk a lot as it helps my legs and makes me feel better being outside. I have Fibromyalgia so I have to exercise in stages to prevent issues but so far its worked really well.
Site Moderator
wove

Post by wove »

Many of older friends touted the value of using a smart watch, so about a year ago I picked up a cheap ($35) smart watch from Walmart. I do like it. It states right in the instructions that it is a "tracking device" and stats it generates are not to be used for medical purposes. It does keep track of how much you walk, your heart beat, blood sugar, blood pressure, and sleep.

It pairs with an app on the phone and over time it creates readable charts of your activity. You can set up reminders to remind you to get up and move, reminders to hydrate. You can see how many steps you have taken and the distance covered. It tells you how many flights of stairs you have been up and down. A quick glance through the charts will let you know days when you have been a real slug, and days when you have been pretty active.

I really get tired of seeing a Doctor once a year, and listen to them yelp about this and that and then want to treat this or that without considering they are perhaps just catching me on an off day. (And nothing makes for a bad day quite like seeing a doctor.) So anyway it is nice to look at the charts of my state reported by the watch and make my own determination of how well I feel.
CaptNoize

Post by CaptNoize »

Wove, you need to put them in their place..! :twisted: :twisted: :x They work for you..!
The doctors I go to, walk on egg shells around me, since they know I got a bad temper, I'm " Stone Cold" Steve Austin outspoken, so they never bitch at me about anything( I'm used to giving people Hell)... :twisted: :twisted:
I was quite active when I was working, but, with my bad knees, I don't move as much, so, that's why I have these problems now. I should get a smart watch probably and keep track of my stats. It's extremely hard, when you're by yourself, to get, and keep motivated. I went to the eye doctor today, and she dialated my pupils. So, that put the kibosh to the remainder of my day. Sometimes you can't win, no matter how much you try.
wove

Post by wove »

My nature is more to just politely listen to what the professional has to say, then either follow up on their advice, or simply ignore it. Most often their advice is solid, but it is my decision on what course of action I wish to take. For me personally I have never seen much long term benefit in arguing or fighting.

I think most of the smart watches can set reminders and alarms. Mine for instance will vibrate then display a message such as, "You have been sitting for over an hour, you should get stand for a while." or, "You have met your exercise goal, you should take a break." You can of course turn "notifications" off or set the frequency they appear or even what events you wish to have notifications for such as "It is time to take XYZ medication. It can also vibrate and display "So-and-So is calling" or an incoming text message, which I find nice because I can leave the phone on the table by the door and not have to check and see if I missed something. Overall I got use to the watch pretty quickly and I think they work reasonably well at helping to establish a habit.