Thunderbird not updating

Discussion of software apps
crosscourt

Re: Thunderbird not updating

Post by crosscourt »

Click on downloads, then click on the Sparky Linux testing edition on the right, it does offer Mate as a DE. The Stable edition doesnt offer Mate but I tried the KDE edition of Sparky stable and wasnt that happy with it. When I started off immediately with KDE Wallet I knew this wasnt the distro for me. Havent tried any of the other DE versions. Testing version is a semi-rolling distro but Mate is offered.
Site Moderator
wove

Post by wove »

Thanks, I found the download. I have never tried Sparky. A first impression is that I have never seen so much junk advertising on a disco's homepage before. I guess they need the revenue, but it made a very poor impression on me. [edit] A few hours later I visited the Ubuntu Deepin website and it appears to be designed by the same folks that did Sparkies. Just so much irrelevant advertising.
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I used to use Sparky when they first released it as they had one of the few LXQT desktops around. Eventually I realized that there was nothing they were doing that I couldn't do better with base Debian and haven't really even tested it since.
bin

Post by bin »

wove wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:05 pm I looked at Sparky Linux and did not see a Mate edition. Did you Mate from the cli edition? I was just curious how Sparky works as a Debian derivative.
Take your pick!! https://sourceforge.net/projects/sparkylinux/files/

The MATE version is based on Debian Testing - which is nice as it does use the latest version of MATE 1.26. Finally they've killed off a number of silly bugs and it is now the only alternative to the pigs ear of a UI that XFCE is becoming (if that style of DE is your thing - which mine is)
At its heart it's Debian obviously. However they have avoided the mess that MX has become with loads of tools that all do the same job as the standard interface utilities and just so much add-on stuff.

Sparky does have a good toolset especially if you like to flirt with different desktops as shown on the screen grab from the APTUS centre.
ksnip_20220820-061905.jpg
ksnip_20220820-061905.jpg (103.49 KiB) Viewed 630 times
The default application list is well balanced.

The second bit is that they repack a lot of stuff that you'd otherwise have to go off and mess around with additional repos to install. This is handy.

I've been using Sparky full time since 2019 and not had any real glitches. Yes you can do the same thing with a vanilla Debian setup.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

You might want to add this info to the Sparky Linux thread that already exists in the Distro forum, given this thread is about Thunderbird.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

If there's anyone who was waiting on 102 to hit Arch, it's just become available.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Didnt take long for it to be able to update on my Debian,RPM and Ubuntu based distros.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

No, it was quite odd that it took so long for Arch to upgrade to it. And it wasn't even in testing until yesterday I think (maybe Saturday).