Discussion on Linux distributions
crosscourt

Linux Mint 21 released

Post by crosscourt »

Site Moderator
wove

Re: Linux Mint 21 released

Post by wove »

I watched a YouTube video yesterday morning from Explaining Computers where installed Linux Mint on a Surface Pro 2. It was a vanilla install and it went very well. Linux Mint supported the important features of the Surface with touch, stylus, rotation, and onscreen keyboard working very well out of the box. I have never been a fan of Mint or Cinnamon, but it is great to see Linux doing so well on very proprietary hardware. Leads me give it a try on the Surface Go, which has been retired from daily use mostly because I am always aggravated with Windows.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

What are your objections to Mint? Cinnamon Im not wild about but its still a decent DE. Is it because its Ubuntu based? They also have XFCE and Mate DEs.
Site Moderator
wove

Post by wove »

In the beginning Linux Mint, mostly just added patented encumber codes, fonts, and some drivers to a fairly stock Ubuntu. It was always green, which I do not find appealing, but it made it easy have a nicely functional desktop. I think overtime Linux Mint has become overly harsh on the hand that feeds them. Just as an example Pop is built on Ubuntu and they make changes in UI and do not include the Snap store, but they do not harshly criticize Ubuntu what what it ships. Neon is much the same, they use Ubuntu base, change the things they want to change, while not bad mouthing Ubuntu.

Cinnamon to me feels too much like Windows, and I find it confusing to use. It is also full of widgets, and panel additives and personally I just find that stuff distracting. Actually I get frustrated with Gnome always adding stuff. All I really want for a desktop is a screen, if I notice wall paper, it means I am not working, I and just geeking about. Volume controls and brightness controls are on the keyboard. If I want to know the time or weather, there are apps for that I can launch. Not to mention if I want to know the time or weather, it is a sign that I am not staying focused on the task I should be focused on.

Well anyway, I do not like that Mint developers are always harping on the Ubuntu base and I do not like Cinnamon or XFCE. Mate can be OK because it is easy to cleanup, but I do like other DEs better.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Mint offers many features you dont get with Ubuntu and doesnt force Snap down your throat. Ive always liked Mints attitude as Ubuntu has been overbearing at times over the years. I dont like Gnome with Ubuntu and originally I ran KDE Mint but I find Cinnamon is tolerable. Mint just works and is a great distro for anyone newbie or advanced. Mint is no longer green as you can set it up anyway you like. Its certainly no worse than the awful color choices Ubuntu makes most of the time. Most people see Mint is a positive light versus Ubuntu and their user base has really grown because of that attitude. The general consensus from most users about Canonical isnt good and Mint uses that to their advantage.
Site Moderator
wove

Post by wove »

Mint is a very popular distro and it very often recommended for new users. Being Linux you can do everything with it so it is a solution for advance users as well. I would not want to see it go away, but I am happy there are lots of options, and I do not have to use Mint.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I test it but I dont use it. Also glad there are other options.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

It appears Mint has a command line tool that will allow you to update from 20.3 to 21 but in all honesty reinstalling to 21 is probably a better bet.
Site Moderator