Heres an odd situation with ssd

Discussion of hardware related issues
crosscourt

Heres an odd situation with ssd

Post by crosscourt »

Brand new WD sn570 ssd, cloned the msata drive on the Dell e5470 to it and went to boot. nothing. Checked the drive, no apparent issues so I took it and tested it on another system and it booted to Windows just fine. Tried it again in the 5470 and still wouldnt boot. I tried a sn550 and cloned it on the 5470 and again it wouldnt boot but works fine on another system. I took another nvme drive from another system and it also booted fine on the 5470. Never experienced something like this and Im fortunate I have so many 6th gen Intel systems otherwise I wouldnt have had any options.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Re: Heres an odd situation with ssd

Post by tlmiller »

That's weird, but not unheard of.

Because the exx70 was Dell's FIRST generation that supported NVMe, if you look through the Dell support forums for E5470/E5570/E7470/E7570 you'll find a LOT of threads like this. I tried xxx NVMe drive and it's not recognized, but xxy NVMe drive is. I think it's literally the controller + the fact that they wired the m.2 slot with both SATA AND PCIe bus, so that it was in theory compatible with either one, which seems to have caused some 3.0x4 drives to simply not recognize.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Just came from the Dell forums and was reading many reports of similar issues.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Yeah, ever since they were new there's been tons of posts about that. You'd think Dell could probably have fixed it with a BIOS update, but maybe it's not something that simple and the hardware has a limitation.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

The bios updates for these systems affected is pretty recent 2022.
Site Moderator