Does this exist?

Discussion of hardware related issues
tlmiller

Does this exist?

Post by tlmiller »

So, using the K14 and it annoys me that I can't run VM's on it due to being limited to the small drive. I don't really want to get a 1TB drive (which are quite frequent in both 2230 & 2242 length now), but I haven't been able to find a 2TB 2230/2242 drive other than the Sabrent Rocket. Which would be fine, except that's double sided and Lenovo laptops are deisgned that they can only take a single sided dirve, double sided will raise up too far and can't be secured to the board.
wove

Re: Does this exist?

Post by wove »

Is that what you are looking for?

<https://www.mfactors.com/industrial-gra ... gle-sided/>
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

No, that's a 2280 sized drive, I need to find (if possible) a 2242 version of the same size. I did eventually find ONE. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... _nvme.html

Trying to decide if it's worth that much money for a drive who's specs are entry level, given the most I paid for my 2280 2TB drives was $160.
wove

Post by wove »

That is an OWC drive. OWC is a long time and well respected seller of upgrades for Apple's computers. They are not cheap on anything they sell, I guess because they serve a pretty niche market and a great many of Apple computer components are pretty damn specific. It is also probably a drive needed for MacBook Air, which is only a 1/2 inch think overall.

I think this is OWC's product page <https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/S3DIG3P4T20/> I have purchased from them in the past and can say that they do sell solid reliable components. Apple of course has never been noted for having high performance components and if you are making upgrades for them there is no pressure to increase that performance.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Ive seen single sided 2242 nvme drives on Amazon, Ebay and Newegg.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

crosscourt wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 3:57 pm Ive seen single sided 2242 nvme drives on Amazon, Ebay and Newegg.
Oh yeah, single sided drives are dime a dozen, the problem is the capacity that I want it in. Even 1TB 2242's are now common, but 2TB, pretty rare. Outside the Sabrent Rocket (which is dual sided as mentioned so not applicable for this laptop), I've found 2 other models. The OWC linked earlier, and some no-name brand from a sketchy site that was priced at $399.
wove

Post by wove »

I was reading a piece somewhere the other day talking about performance. The thrust was that the more memory chips on the NVME the faster the drive. The controller can split up a big chunk of data and write it simultaneously to several memory chips, which makes the data move faster. The fewer the chips on the drive and the slower the transfer, with a single chip drive being the slowest. I imagine as you move to a shorter NVME drive there would be fewer chips and hence the data transfer rates would be slower. Just thinking that perhaps the lower performance might be do more to the smaller physical size and not necessarily due to the quality of the controller.
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Yes, most controllers are either 4 channel or 8 channel. If you have 8 channels, and 8 chips, you get MASSIVE parallelization for performance. With the shorter SSD's, you need to use newer, faster NAND to make up for the loss in parallelization. that's the reason that tiny BC711 2230 in my K14 is able to put out 3500 MB/s reads, it uses some of the latest high density, massive transfer speed NAND to achieve that performance despite having only a single NAND chip. 2242's you can get 2 NAND packages on a single sided drive, and with 2280 you can get a full 4 per side.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Yes, most of the ones Ive seen are 512gb/1tb drives.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

crosscourt wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 4:59 pm Yes, most of the ones Ive seen are 512gb/1tb drives.
Yeah, and IMO, I had a 512, a 1TB isn't worth upgrading to since this is 1 drive only. Unless I had a 1TB (2242) spare (I do have a 2280 spare 1TB).