Had to brush up on my LVM skills

Discussion of software apps
tlmiller

Had to brush up on my LVM skills

Post by tlmiller »

So one of my coworkers wants me to help him learn parted & lvm this week (he's studying for his RHCA). So I had to create a VM to make sure I actually remembered how to use it. Created a VM of Debian w/ a single 5GB drive, did a LVM install with everything in a single partition. Then added 7 more 5GB drives. Added 2 more LV's, 1 to create a seperate /home, and one to create a swap space. Grew everything to the sizes I wanted, and it's all working rather nicely. Decided to just go ahead and test how my frankendebian install works since it was a fresh, basic (4 GB was all the space there was at install since /boot/efi and /boot need to be real partitions) install.
ksnip_20220712-220652.png
ksnip_20220712-220652.png (77.15 KiB) Viewed 408 times
wove

Re: Had to brush up on my LVM skills

Post by wove »

That is impressive. I am pretty content with leaving storage formats as something that should remain user transparent. Fedora's default install sets up LVM. I am not sure what that means. I tend to think it is functionally similar to "pools" used with and created with zfs. Do the volumes that are part of LVM need to be in a specific format. I mean can both btrfs and ext5 formatted volumes coexist in an LVM?

Do you happen to know of a layman's reference that explains any of this in somewhat simple terms?