KDE Connect

Discussion of software apps
wove

KDE Connect

Post by wove »

One of the few useful features I do use when on Windows is the phone connection so you can send SMS messages from the computer. I believe that KDE Connect is suppose to provide the same feature for the Plasma Desktop. I have never been able to get that to work.

KDE connect says it paired with the phone and the phone says it is paired with the computer. When I select SMS messages from the options all I get is an open window with a "I'm busy" spinner. No messages from the phone every show up and the "New" button never becomes active.

Has anyone used KDE connect successfully? Is there a trick to it that I have just missed?
tlmiller

Re: KDE Connect

Post by tlmiller »

What version of the app on the desktop do you have? I have noticed that once the app is more the 2 or 3 minor point releases old, it stops ACTUALLY working. So the LTS supported versions of Plasma never have a working KDEConnect that I've seen.
wove

Re: KDE Connect

Post by wove »

Thanks for the response. I had installed KDE Connect on POP OS on the X230 and I figured that might be the problems. I went and overwrote Pop with Endeavour OS. I am guessing it has a revent version KDE Connect installed.

It is actually worse than I had on Pop. Pop saw the device and both the device and Pop showed the phone as connected, but I could just not send or read messages on Pop. With Endeavour installed, neither the phone, nor the laptop can even see each other, so I am not even able to pair the devices.

Edit: Well I got it sorted out. Endeavour seems to have added a firewall and I changed to the firewall settings to trust my local network. After that it poof and my devices saw each other paired with each other and all is good. Messages is working from KDE and Endeavour.