Discussion on Linux distributions
crosscourt

Deepin 20.6 released

Post by crosscourt »

Site Moderator
crosscourt

Re: Deepin 20.6 released

Post by crosscourt »

It appears that Deepin intends to move away from Debian and become an independent distro.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I don't foresee that going that well with the development team they have. They'd need more help to run a fully independent distro.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Totally agree.
Site Moderator
wove

Post by wove »

I was most curious as to why they developed a new package manager, Linlong(?). It seems the last thing Linux really needs is another package manager.

It is an odd company, they receive a lot of state money for development. It is part of China's plan to develop their own native technologies. While Deepin is a technology company, as near as I can follow the parent company was originally a trash handling company (picture BFI owning Microsoft). The company branched out to providing other business support services and somehow that lead to making a computer operating system.

I have enjoyed following them over time. They have always had a pretty and easy to use UI, but I have not found their applications to be very useful. That could be partly because I have never been able to sort out a nice workflow.

If you wish to use their iso as a live image rather than an installer you can do the following:

Hit the tab key on boot up and go into edit.

Find the line that reads:
.linux /live/vmlinuz boot=live components quiet splash union=overlay livecd-installer locales=zh_CN.UTF-8 initrd=/live/initrd.lz

And change the line to read:
.linux /live/vmlinuz boot=live components quiet splash union=overlay livecd initrd=/live/initrd.lz

Then the iso will boot into a live session so you can try it without needing to install Deepin.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

The unfortunate fact is Deepin because its Chinese has not found favor outside the far east and Ubuntu Kylin has had similar issues. Remaining with Debian would have least shown they were trying to stay with the larger community, but now its going to be a tough road.
Site Moderator
wove

Post by wove »

I have always thought that we ignore China at our own peril. My best guess is that if you could get numbers of the installed user base in China, Deepin would probably already be the worlds most popular Linux distro. Kylin is the the operating system on all Chinese military computers, which makes it damn big too. In the west we have a few smaller companies that create and sell Linux based hardware, but a search on Alibaba turns up dozens of different computers with Deepin installed.

I just assume they are arriving at a point where Debian probably just holds them back from reaching their goals. Deepin has went through many iterations over the years, and they have never been shy about throwing thing out that just do not work for them. And they have always been very forth right when they have made missteps. The UI has substantially changed, many of the original core applications have been heavily changed over the years. Part of what I have found most appealing about Deepin is their flexibly and adaptability.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

No doubt given the large Chinese population Deepin probably does have a large install base but the second largest in population in the world is India and they wont touch Chinese distros or apps. On most of the forums Im on with a wide/large/diverse base they wont touch any distro thats Chinese based. At least with Debian there would be a perception of community and safe to use but independent that wont happen.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I don't think it's so much that WE ignore the Chinese. Many Chinese companies simply have no reason to attempt to cater to western desires. Because if they're loved by the state government, they don't actually have to worry about being GOOD, they have a LITERAL captive audience. So they do what the state wants them to do, and if it doesn't set right with their user base, what are they going to do, use Windows?
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Agree with you but if the government doesnt care that they use Debian, it allows them to reach and even larger audience.
Site Moderator