Alienware R10

Discussion of hardware related issues
crosscourt

Re: Alienware R10

Post by crosscourt »

So far so good, as the aliens havent tried to start up my pc whenever they feel like it.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Havent had any heat issues at all and fan noise hasnt been a problem. I prefer air cooling as it keeps other aspects of the motherboard cool without having to install heatsinks.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Actually got a bios update for my R10 which wasnt the case with my 5676 Inspiron system.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Speaking of BIOS updates, have you used fwupd to get firmware updates on any of your systems? I've been testing it out on most of my systems, and I have to say, for those models it works with (far from all), it's actually pretty darn nice. Can download firmware updates for just about any hardware in your system that's made available!! And super easy to use!!
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

No havent used it. My Dell desktops have their own support centers that do the updating. Otherwise I do it manually most of the time.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Alienware just gave me another bios update, which shocked me. My Inspiron 5676 got no bios updates at all since I purchased it.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Having heat issues with the 2tb nvme ssd. The slot is in a lousy location and even with a heatsink, the drive is having issues that affect performance.Its too close to the video card and buried in a location where I cant get enough air to it in such a tight case. Evem with air cooling and adding another fan, the drive is not performing well. Dont really have an answer to this and may have to go to a 2tb Sata ssd to avoid the issue as these drives are in a great location to stay cool and have easy access to them.
Maybe Ill pop the 2tb nvme in the HP 800 G3 for my wife down the road as that case runs very cool and the fan does a great job of keeping internals from throttling. They didnt consider the compact case design with the cpu and gpu so close would cause issues with the nvme drive.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Ended up going to a 2tb sata drive which sits at the bottom of the case and has great air flow. The nvme ssd sat under the gpu and couldnt get enough air flow and there was no way to add a fan anywhere near it. I was getting some issues during gaming and it appears it was the nvme drive. The R10 case really is awful to open/close and to get to areas of the motherboard. My Dell 5676 was a far better case design. My wife will get my 2tb nvme drive for her new system Ill be setting up over Christmas. She does a lot of work with large files, so she will actually see all the benefits of the nvme drive versus my gaming.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Please read my comment above as it has changed.2tb sata ssd is working great on my system and I was able to pick up another 2tb sata drive for under $100 as a fall back. Gaming was great and temps on the sata ssd were really low, not over 40c.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I have to say that in my general use and gaming so far I havent amy difference in performance with the 2tb sata ssd versus the 2tb nvme drive. Sata ssd is running around 33c a far cry from the 95c the nvme ssd was running at. Disappointed with the case design from Alienware and the mobo layout as this could have been avoided.
Site Moderator