Alienware R10

Discussion of hardware related issues
crosscourt

Re: Alienware R10

Post by crosscourt »

Tried retesting the 2tb nvme ssd to see if my fan change made any difference and unfortunately it didnt. The placement of nvme drive under the graphics card is a completely stupid move. My other Ryzen system doesnt do this so why they did this with the R10 I dont know. Anyone not using air cooling though will really get hit with heat issues. I gave up and went back to the sat 2.5 ssd. The case has too many limitations overall even though its a cool looking case. They need to rethink things down the road as having your nvme drive overheat shouldnt happen.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

After a huge issue that bricked the system, I got it back up and running barely. Not sure if it was the Radeon driver installed recently or problem with the bios. For now the system is running but Im disappointed with how this system has worked out. Bios issues, heat issues, case is cramped far more than I realized and the design of the both the case and motherboard leave a lot to be desired.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I kept my Dell nspiron 5676 gaming system so Ill probably upgrade the graphics card as insurance in case the R10 decides to brick.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

System died, looks like a motherboard issue. Just got finished stripping it and moving the hardware over to my Dell Inspiron 5676. I also found another 5676 with additional hardware online. Ill use it as a backup for parts or replacement system. Will add a Ryzen 5 2600 to it and good to go. Whats nice is Windows was ok with my shifting my 2tb ssd over to the 5676 as both are Ryzen systems. 5676 is much quieter and a great case to work in and has an amazing look with its blue LED bar and open grill.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

My advice would be to avoid Alienware systems. They have too many issues, case design is archaic on the inside, heat issues,bios issues, motherboard design is very poor. Avoid Alienware systems at all costs.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Deal for the backup 5676 fell through so i got a better deal on a Dell Inspiron 5680 which is the Intel variant of my other system. Its more upgradeable and has a recent bios update.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Gees the 5680 hasnt even shipped yet, not sure whats going on.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Filed a request with Ebay as there has been no response from the seller and it hasnt shipped. 10 days so far and nothing has happened. If I can get my money back Im probably going to het a Dell XPS 8490 special edition to keep my costs down. i5 11400f cpu with a Radeon rx6600 gpu.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Hilarious email from Alienware after my R10 died from what appears to be a chipset failure. My warranty ran out a week before it happened and I tried to see if they would do anything. They send me an email with some drivel in it that in fact meant sorry cant help you but try this,LOL!! My overall experience with Dell has been excellent over the years but when companies dont want to take responsibility for a run of bad bios, poor case design and motherboard defects, that angers me. Will never buy from Alienware again but so far my Dell XPS 8940 runs like a champ with no issues but very different design.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Apparently they offered me a hugely discounted upgrade down the road if I decide to buy a Dell system or upgrade my other system. They are aware I bought a XPS and now they want to keep me as a customer. Might take them up on that down the road.
Site Moderator