Windows 11

Talk about anything you like not related to the above forums
crosscourt

Windows 11

Post by crosscourt »

Ive got so many using it now, I went to Win11 full time on my Ryzen system. Im also attempting to game with it more and seeing how it interacts with the digital gaming services. Ive tweaked it heavily and its not getting on my nerves as much as it use to. Gaming experience is good so far depending on the game. It handles the much older games just fine but Mech 4 Mektek was a no go. Overall feels snappier this time around as and updates werent an issue/ Took a long time to install on my Win10 install but it kept all my apps with no issues. My older printers do work even though they are using Win10 drivers. Many times thats your only way to get some hardware to work. No issues with my wifi nor video card. Im using a 2tb Crucial MX500 2.5 ssd as I already had it and didnt want to pick up another $170 drive. Might bite the bullet down the road for an NVMe ssd if prices drop.
You have to break a lot of habits as things are there but you dont access them the same way as Win10 at times. Havent had any issues such as Ive seen with some of my clients so Ill take that with a grain of salt.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Re: Windows 11

Post by tlmiller »

I booted it today to do updates on the laptop I'm selling. I still dislike it greatly. :D
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Ive gotten use to it and made some changes as well. Once you use it quite a bit more the work flow improves quite a bit. Recently a lot of my friends and clients have moved from Win10 to Win11. Im also gaming with it and performance with Mechwarrior 5 is actually better than it was in Win10.
Site Moderator
wove

Post by wove »

The Surface Go has Win 11. It is certainly no better on a tablet than Win 10. But it is what it is. The IdeaCentre support 2 hard drive and I have Win 11 installed on a smaller older SSD I had around. I do not use it much at all. I have Fedora installed on the main fast big nvme drive and I like Fedora much more than I like Windows.

With that said though I have not experienced any problems with Windows, it has been running fine. I have never spent much time in the Windows ecosystem, and I lack any real knowledge as to how to use it productively. Looking at Windows as a noobie, I am surprised that people don't just take a quick glance at it and move on to something else. Its widespread adoption simple baffles me.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Most people use it at work, and its sold with all new and refurbished systems. Many of the well known apps like Adobe for instance, are another reason why Windows remains so widespread. Gaming though much better on Linux is still a better experience on Windows. Being GUI oriented and the installation of apps being so easy also affects its acceptance.Mainstream users dont view things the same way most Linux users do. I use Zorin and Win11 and the experiences are pretty equal overall.
Ive been in the Windows ecosystem a long time most with gaming/API's/drivers so Ive seen the good, the bad and the ugly over that time.
My first time with Win11 was not a good one but the second time was a smooth experience and I had to eat crow after dissing it for so long.
Of the two I now prefer Win11 over Win10.
Site Moderator
wove

Post by wove »

Windows 10 works nicely on the X230t. It can not be easily upgraded to 11. Overall the hardware is excellent and Windows software does a nice job of supporting the features of the hardware. Linux runs well and has good support for the hardware. Linux is a pure desktop/laptop system. Software for handwritten notes and tablet oriented applications is very much lacking. For traditional desktop computer tasks, Linux really holds its own against OS, but as you move more toward mare niche uses Linux does show short comings.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I would agree with that as niche use for now does favor Windows but Linux has really come a long way. Zorin has an excellent feel compared to Windows and would satisfy a lot people.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Ran into a small problem. Windows security wouldnt open and asked for an app from the store to fix it but of course there wasnt one. Apparently recent updates cause this in some users. The fix was simple as a command thru Powershell solved the missing app and security suddenly worked.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

So far recent updates have been fine, and the issue in the above post only happened on one of my two Win11 systems
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

What I posted on two posts up happened again on one of my systems. Its annoying but thankfully theres a way to overcome the issue.
Site Moderator