Pop OS 22.04

Discussion on Linux distributions
wove

Pop OS 22.04

Post by wove »

Pop his generally lagged behind the Ubuntu release by a month or so, but with 22.04 they were johnny on the spot. I noticed it this morning and gave it an install on the X230. System 76 backports all the DE work back to exisiting supported editions, so from a DE standpoint, if you have been using Pop OS, it is probably the same as what you have been using.

Pop has a few under the hood improvements, which I probably hard to spot. The biggest they seem to be touting is that now the forground application will be heavily prioritized to get all the resources it wants to use, which Pop OS claims provides a much better gaming experience. It ships with kernel 5.16.19 and they expect to introduce the 5.17 kernel in about a month.

Almost all the applications and the base shell itself have moved to Gnome 42. Overall I have found I like the base Gnome experience better than the Cosmic experience. Some of that may simply be that I am more use to working with the Gnome Shell in Fedora. As of right now I am thinking of Pop OS as being a place holder until Fedora 36 releases, which should be soon.
crosscourt

Re: Pop OS 22.04

Post by crosscourt »

Most lag behind like Mint, Zorin, Feren to name a few. Most want to see how it goes and many times wait for at least the first revision.
Site Moderator