Guess who's Thinkpads just got pretty?

Discussion of hardware related issues
tlmiller

Guess who's Thinkpads just got pretty?

Post by tlmiller »

Got my hard cases in. T14 G2 AMD in the purple, T14 G1 AMD in the pink. No real reason to get these other than I hate black.

crosscourt

Re: Guess who's Thinkpads just got pretty?

Post by crosscourt »

I like the purple, not wild about the pink. I typically use vinyl lid skins on the top of my laptops to change their look and color. Dell actually sold them for awhile in quite a variety of designs and colors. Ebay has a ton of them for all makes including Lenovo.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Yeah, I've gotten them before, they're REALLY hard to apply PERFECTLY aligned. Needless to say, I generally keep them on for 2-3 weeks then peel them off becuase they're not utterly perfect. With these, I don't have to worry about that. I actually had WANTED purple & yellow, or purple & orange, but for the T490/T495/T14 they didn't have yellow or orange, so I went with pink which was different enough from the purple to win over the blue IMO. I'm moderately happy with it. I was hoping it was more of a hot pink instead of this.

Although just beyond looking better, these also allows my laptops to set up in the back when being used independent of a dock, thus making the keyboards less uncomfortable. The T495 isn't getting one of these though, as I really don't intend to keep that one OVERLY much longer....although no FIRM plans to sell it yet.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I can only speak to the Dell lid skins but they cut them really well and applying them is relatively easy. Ive done quite a few with good results both for myself and for clients. Many older laptops get scraped up and the skins really do make a huge difference. Overall Im really not that disappointed with the black/gray/silver look of laptops.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I like bright colors on most of my stuff, so not a fan of the black at all. The grey's I do like some. The silver is a bit bland for me as well. But ultimately it comes down to these fit perfectly, and were cheap, and make them actually easier to use...so...no downsides IMO. I MAY get one for the L14 as well, as there is a L14 Gen1 Intel hard case (which is available in yellow and orange), and it PROBABLY will fit the AMD version since I think they use the same case for those 2 models.
wove

Post by wove »

Back when metal laptops seemed the norm, I would take them apart and paint the metal. Yellow, sunflower yellow in particular was a big favorite of mine. Thinkpads being plastic with a strange grippy rubber coating, do not seem like a paint job would be successful. I have never tried though so maybe I should take some of the surplus Thinkpad cases I have around and give them a try.

The grandkids were over last night and I now have a Spiderman themed X230. Not really my style so it is fortunate that when using it the "themeing" is pointed away from me. So if some day you are in a coffee house and glance at a nearby table and see a laptop that looks like it belongs to an 8 year old boy, well that might just be me :)
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

In those days I was painting, laptops and desktops to get specific looks. Modding was the norm and a lot cheaper to do than it is today.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

And they continue to get pretty!!!

From left to right, that's the L14G1A, T14G1A, T14G2A
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Its nice to see some variety in colors. Youve turned into a Lenovo fan.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

crosscourt wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:19 am Its nice to see some variety in colors. Youve turned into a Lenovo fan.
Pretty much had to. Dell doesn't have Ryzen in their business line laptops, HP's business line laptops are...well...crap. So Lenovo was the only choice to get decent CPU's. Now with Alder Lake I can go back to Dell if I choose, but at the range I prefer (15-watt U-series), the Ryzens are still the superior CPU, if only barely now. How bad was it? My 11th gen Intel Core-i7 is SIGNIFICANTLY slower than my 4000-series (~concurrent with 10th gen) Ryzen 5. That's saying something for how far behind intel was with their CPU's. And while Alder Lake doesn't COMPLETELY destroy AMD in every way, it really does show the absolute LEAP Intel made to reclaim the performance lead given how bad they had done the last few generations in mobile.