Epiphany aka Gnome-Web

Discussion of software apps
wove

Epiphany aka Gnome-Web

Post by wove »

This is small fast web browser. It fits well with the Gnome DE and it syncs with Firefox Sync. It does not support extensions, but overall it is a nice fast and stable content consumption web browser. It does have popup and ad blocking built in and that feature works very well. It did support creating an app from a webpage, but I think that has been dropped.

I was using it the other day visiting YouTube and much to my surprise I found that its ad blocking also blocks YouTube ads. When you go to view a video and the as would start, you get a shaded in circle which spins on down. It is the same indicator Gnome uses to display time when copying files. When the circle clears the video itself starts. If there is an ad in the middle of the video the same things happens the video window clears and the shaded circle appears and begins clearing, when clear the video resumes again. That does break the continuity of the video just like ads do, but you are spared suffering though some random ad for something that you would not be interested in.

There are a few sites I visit that are not in English so i need a translation extension, and for some reason Epiphany will not display the "activity" section of my banking site. In those cases I use Firefox. Konqueror since it has gone to webengine for rendering handles my banking website. And I have always thought a nice feature of Plasma is that translation is built into the system. Konqueror does not do as fine a job of ad blocking as does Epiphany.