DAYLIGHT SAVINGS TIME

Talk about anything you like not related to the above forums
crosscourt

Re: DAYLIGHT SAVINGS TIME

Post by crosscourt »

Thats been going on since last year but there is quite a bit of support for DST.
Site Moderator
CaptNoize

Post by CaptNoize »

I really HATE this bouncing back and forth. It's a whole lot of nonsense. This is the first time I've really noticed how off I feel. Like I need more stupidly in my life.. :roll: :roll: :x
bin

Post by bin »

Well, if you're anywhere south of Minneapolis then it probably doesn't make too much difference to the day/night/clock balance.

However, ask someone in - say - Calgary, which is roughly the same latitude as Bristol here in the southern UK, and you may get a different answer.

Personally I'd be quite happy if we stayed on the current - Winter - time and left it at that.
wove

Post by wove »

I do live just south of Minneapolis, and I grew up in North Dakota just south of Winnipeg. When we studied geography, I found the climate difference between our area and the UK very odd, since on the globe both the upper midwest of the US and the UK are about the same distance from the equator, yet I am pretty sure we have a much more brutal climate. But I never thought about the fact that in terms of daylight hours we are very similar to the UK.

I have always liked May, June and July. It is light out until after 10pm and the sun greets you around 4am, makes you feel all in sync with the universe. And well now that I am retired, I wonder what purpose do clocks serve anyway, just politicians messing around with what feels right.
chris

Post by chris »

Two things: Island vs. Continental climate. Gulf Stream.
An island climate is affected by the massive amount of water surrounding it - less variation.
The Gulf Stream keeps us a lot warmer than would be 'normal'.
Time - not so much affected - except by longitude.
CaptNoize

Post by CaptNoize »

Here we go with this stupidity again. I'm sick of bouncing time back and forth. These thieving politicians can't even get this changed. It's far past a time, for America's version of the French Revolution...!!! :x :x :x :x :twisted: :twisted:
wove

Post by wove »

For me I guess most clocks (phone, computer, watch) show the correct time automatically. The clock in the car on the stove and thermostat we never bother to change, so starting today and through the winter, the stove, car and thermostat are back to showing the correct current time after having spent the last half year being off by an hour. For us all of or time keeping devices are part of some other device and we have no clocks that are just clocks.

The longer I am retired, the less I care about the time. Being a real creature of habit, I get up and go back down about the same time everyday, although for half the year, that is not following the clock very well. I do find it most annoying that everything tech seems to come with a clock. The problem is that these devices use the display for other purposes besides telling time. The car uses the clock display to show the radio station, CD track and other stuff. The microwave uses the display for all of its functions, so one cannot tape off the clock without loosing the other more useful functions.

Most tech devices do rely on time for functioning, which I assume is why they insist on showing the time. But for the most part showing the time for me is more annoying than useful. When I am re-heating my coffee, I really do not care what time it is. The thermostat is programable and uses time, but displaying the time has little to to with whether I am chilly or hot.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Im with you Capt, lets get this done as I really hate changing times. Hated it even more when I was working.
Site Moderator
CaptNoize

Post by CaptNoize »

All they do in Washington is bicker and fight about nonsensical things that doesn't even concern the working class, senior citizens, or the day to day operation of this great nation. We are All, really getting screwed by these assclowns. Democrats or Republicans, it doesn't matter... They All suck. You go out and vote. It doesn't matter, since there is an Electoral College. Your vote doesn't count. They'll decide who gets in. I've gotten in arguments and fist fights over this. Do you know "why" they want you to register to vote...?? So they can get your name for JURY DUTY..!! And waste more of your time..! :x :x :x :x :x :x
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

A number of states introduced legislation to stop the switching of time. Virginia, Florida and yes Pennsylvania to name a few. Not sure if anything will happen but Virginia is going to look at it after the election.
Indiana and Arizona are two examples of states using standard time.
Site Moderator