Vivaldi 5.0

Discussion of software apps
tlmiller

Vivaldi 5.0

Post by tlmiller »

So this was actually released like last week I think, but took a while for me to download and try it. They did FINALLY at some point fix the major issue I was annoyed with (if you set your history to clear on close, the "recover tabs" would still have your history), and they've added several new features. Anyone used to the older Vivaldi will still definitely be right at home, as it still looks pretty much identical.

I tried out their mail feature, but it couldn't discover the imap server settings for my email accounts, so :roll: guess I won't use that. I mean, I could look them up, but given that they work in Thunderbird just fine, it's not necessary. Just wanted to see how well it worked, or not, as the case may be.

Still seems slower than any other browser loading sites. Not by a LOT, mind you, but...slower. I may start phasing this back into my usage, so that I have Firefox, Edge(Debian/Neon) or Chromium (Arch), and Vivaldi on my systems. Just for the s's and giggles of it. I don't need 3 browsers, doubly when 2 use the same rendering engine...but hey, it's not like I'm lacking for drive capacity, and sometimes it might even be useful to have. Can't say I've ever needed it in the past, but whatever. Gives me another option.
crosscourt

Re: Vivaldi 5.0

Post by crosscourt »

I got three browsers installed in Win10, Edge, Firefox and Chrome. Linux I typically have two browsers, Chrome/Chromium and Firefox, except with Feren OS. It has Vivaldi by default but honestly I havent enjoyed using it as it seems slow and has some other issues.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I haven't used 5.0 enough yet to see if there's other issues beyond the slowness. And the slowness IMO isn't bad, or excessive, it's just that it's JUST BARELY ENOUGH to be perceptible to the naked eye. I've got it on 3 machines, as I wrote myself a script to install it on Debian/Ubuntu after installing it on the first machine, as I'm not a fan of downloading the .deb and installing it that way, I'd rather create the .list file manually, download their key, and then install from the repo. I like the new theme editor, much more capability than the old, so I can get it to look exactly like my Edge/Chromium and Firefox installs. Gotta have matching toolbars and tabs between browsers!!! :D
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

In my case it was much slower than the norm or thats how it felt. With other browsers that perform and feel better to use, I walked away from Vivaldi.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Found some weaknesses with the theming ability. Seems you can't set the text color in the theme. So if you do a semi-dark theme, it still leaves it with dark text, and looks very ugly and fairly illegible.
wove

Post by wove »

I have not tried Vivaldi in a long time. This morning however I was reading that V5 was released for Android and specifically focused on tablet use, so I might give it a look. The reviewer had very nice things to say about it. I think all the browsers I have tried on Android tablets have just been blown up phone browsers and not as useful as one would like.

I use a tablet a lot different from a desktop or laptop computer. I do not care much about customization, I just want the software to display usable content with as little fuss and effort as possible.
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

So been using vivadli 5.3, and on OpenSUSE (and ONLY OpenSUSE) it seems to have an issue. It is MASSIVELY slow. I haven't yet tried to reset the local configuration, as I'm just lazy, but it works great after upgrading existing 5.2 installs on Debian, Neon, and Endeavour. But on OpenSUSE, it takes 3-5 seconds to load ANY page, media heavy pages taking even longer, iwth the office 365 homepage taking nearly a full minute to load. And I have Firefox open right beside it, loading pages in <2 seconds, and if it's a non media heavy page, <1 second.
wove

Post by wove »

Vivaldi for me has always been a bit over the top. Personally I always just trip over its features. I use a browser much like I use an image viewer or pdf viewer. Just show me the content. One thing that I do like about Vivaldi is how far it reaches back. The current version will install and work on some very old systems. Vivaldi 5 installs on MacOS El Capitan which has been end of life for several years. I believe it also installs on Ubuntu 16.04.
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Generally I like Vivaldi as the best of the Chromium browsers. Firefox is generally my absolute favorite browser, but Vivaldi (and to a lesser degree MS Edge) are good browsers, that work well for me most of the time. And this morning (still on OpenSUSE, although it has shut down since then) it's working BETTER, although still slower than it does on my other OS's. However, close enough that I probably won't reset my local profile.
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

OK, so further testing, and it seems to be an issue with OpenSUSE and Vivaldi, reset profile and no change. But definitely only affecting OpenSUSE, on Debian w/ Vivaldi at the moment, and it's flying with no issues whatsoever.