Feren OS 2020.11 released

Discussion on Linux distributions
tlmiller

Re: Feren OS 2020.11 released

Post by tlmiller »

Weird. That would make sense that they'd have upgraded to 5.22 if they're doing that. I'd love to hear if they DO happen to respond what their reasoning is to stay on 5.21.5 for so long instead of upgrading to 5.22.x
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Ill let you know as I responded back asking that question. Being up to date would be a huge plus for them given the overall design of Feren OS.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Yeah, I mean, that's the primary attraction of Neon IMO, the newest Plasma desktop. Everything else about Neon (IE - based on Ubuntu) is a downside!! :D
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I couldnt bring myself to install Neon as I really dont care for it.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I'm not the biggest fan, but I'll take it over Feren. The default color scheme on Feren REALLY turns me off, and having something Ubuntu based and NOT using the absolute LATEST version of Plasma is an even bigger turn-off to me.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Neon is just Kubuntu with recent KDE and I really hate Kubuntu. Feren is more like Mint KDE and offers a nice experience for most users.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Neon/Kubuntu/Feren are all the same OS, just with different versions of KDE. They're all Ubuntu + KDE. Feren is the ugliest IMO. Kubuntu is the most bland. Neon is the only one that's got the latest KDE. So it's the only one I really like using. Ultimately, Feren is just Kubuntu + newer version of KDE + a Mint-ish theme.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Feren retained a lot of the Mint features/similar themes which I like a lot but has avoided some of the issues Ive had with Neon and Kubuntu which really annoy me.
Many people hated Kubuntu for a variety of reasons and thus looked for alternatives with Mint KDE being one of the more popular.

To each his own.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

crosscourt wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:13 pm
Many people hated Kubuntu for a variety of reasons and thus looked for alternatives with Mint KDE being one of the more popular.
I've always agreed with that. Of all the KDE distro's, Kubuntu has historically always been the LEAST stable for me. Install issues, update issues, crashing, etc. Neon, Kaos, Feren, Endeavour, etc all proved to be superior to Kubuntu.

Even Manjaro has (for me) been more stable, and Manjaro is the OS that most confuses me in the world as I've had FAR more issues with it than I have with "true" Arch OS's (Arch installers that still use the normal Arch repos). Consistently over years of testing it. Despite that the whole point of Manjaro is "Arch without the instability".

And of course nowadays there's ALSO the whole "we're a Snap company, deal with it" to add in.
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Humorously, I'm on Kubuntu today. Forgot my corporate laptop (thought I left it at work over the weekend, I was wrong), so using one of the laptops from a developer that quit. So just did a apt install kubuntu-desktop on it really quick to get plasma so that I'm semi-comfortable working for the day, and I'm "good enough" to deal with it.