The big beast is gone...

Talk about anything you like not related to the above forums
tlmiller

Re: The big beast is gone...

Post by tlmiller »

And because it's a business system, sleep works just fine...
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

So, did my GeekBench stuff this morning, and it REALLY shows how important the cooling is on these things. The T495 is known for having a VERY agressive thermal solution, in terms of thermal throttling (the R7 w/ the Vega 10 is a hot chip). And so because of how agressively it throttles (and this is in every review I've read), it has rather surprising numbers (keep in mind also this is after having been running 4.5 hours nonstop, so this is definitely fully warmed up):

Code: Select all

My old A485 (Pro 5-2500u):
Single-Core Score
Multi-Core Score

The new T495 (Pro 7-3700u):
Single-Core Score
Multi-Core Score
That said, despite not really being any faster (real-world) in CPU than the old A485, and not having dual batteries like the A485 (which was fantastic), it is smaller, lighter, much more graphically powerful (Vega 8 vs. Vega 10). Would it be worth it for 99% of the people if they had a A485 to upgrade to a T495? No, definitely not. Would I recommend a T495 to someone looking for a (now that it's available refurbished easily) moderately priced, well made laptop with good specs and a fantastic (for a laptop) keyboard? Yes, definitely. It won't keep up with the Intel 8th gen chips, but will decimate the 6th or 7th gen chips (even the 6th gen H series it'll keep up with despite being 1/3 the TDP), and if you DO like to play a few games, the graphics on this machine will slaughter anything shy of the 11th gen Intel w/ XE graphics. And battery life is mostly fixed in this generation, every review I've seen of T495's says 7-9 hours is definitely achievable, which is pretty on-par with the Intel version.

TLP still doesn't play nice with Thinkpads. If I install TLP and boot on battery, it utterly blocks bluetooth, sot hat unless I plug it in and reboot, I can't use it. So no TLP still for me on the Thinkpad. Yeah, I could modify the configuration to stop that, but...easier to uninstall since I'm not totally convinced that even on the systems that ARE still usable with TLP, it really helps much with my particular use scenarios.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

TLP doesnt always work with Dells either, its a mixed bag.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

True, I had a couple Inspirons that it didn't work with, although I don't remember any of my Latitudes that it didn't work on. While I haven't had a THinkpad it worked correctly with in a while (can't remember if it worked with the T450 or not), but didn't work on the T470, A485, or now T495. And I'm not holding my breath for it to work on the T14.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I had issues with TLP with the E6400 and the E6430.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

:( The T14 got delayed again. Now not arriving until the end of the month. If it gets delayed again, I'm cancelling the order.
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Well, now they've moved the shipping date back forward again. Now expected to ship Friday and be here next Friday.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Glad youll be able to play with it.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Yeah, still not soon enough for me (although when is it), but I'm excited that at least it's a LITTLE earlier than it was.
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Just got notification that it shipped today.