Windows 10 2004 update/20H2/21H1

Talk about anything you like not related to the above forums
crosscourt

Re: Windows 10 2004 update/20H2/21H1

Post by crosscourt »

TPM 2.0 was released in October of 2014 so most systems in the last 6 years will be fine. Running your system with UEFI/Secure Boot/TPM 2.0 is the sticking point.

I would check your bios in the Surface to see whether its enabled. Its possible they may release a bios update or there may be o0ne available for the Surface.

My Dell 7470 is compatible with Win11 but I run it in Legacy mode without Secure Boot but do have TPM 2.0 enabled. Ill have to install WEin11 with all of that enabled when I install it.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

crosscourt wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:11 pm The system requirements for Win11 arent bad at all so Im surprised your Surface had an issue. Theres nothing in the system requirements that most systems cant handle. DX12 compatible not an issue as most graphics now are compatible even though they may not support all DX12 features. UEFI and secure boot capable, 64gb storage, 4gb of ram and a 1ghz cpu.
They are forcing users though to have TPM 2.0 and Secure Boot enabled which for me is a bit of an issue. Most pcs/laptops in the last 6 years should be able to run Win11.
My Dell 7470 laptop is compatible except I have Secure Boot turned off.
A LOT of consumer systems prior to ~3 years ago didn't come with TPM, that's where 90+% of the failures are going to be generated, I'd bet.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Thats true as you tended to see TPM mainly in Enterprise systems. Dell only has it in the Optiplex,Latitude,Precision,XPS and Alienware systems.

Its clearly an attempt to force the issue by Microsoft but with Win10 supported till late 2025, by then everyone will probably be using a system that supports it.
Apparently TPM 1.2 may work down the road according to some of the MS docs.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Most of my laptops support TPM2, so in theory could upgrade to Win11. However, secure boot makes it a hard pass. I'm not willing to enable that.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Same here as I dont want secure boot. My Dell 5676 does have secure boot enabled as it came from Dell configured that way and I didnt want to void the warranty.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

crosscourt wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:28 am Same here as I dont want secure boot. My Dell 5676 does have secure boot enabled as it came from Dell configured that way and I didnt want to void the warranty.
The only system I have that doesn't have a TPM2 module is my desktop, which DOES support it...just doesn't HAVE one. Since it's ALSO the only machine I ACTIVELY keep Windows on, if I can find one for a decent price (ASROCK 18-pin TPM2 modules are basically $40 cheapest I can find), I may pick one up. I could enable secure boot long enough to TEST Win11 at least. But...that will be dependent upon my finding a <=~$25 TPM2 module for the board first, which currently doesn't seem to be possible.
wove

Post by wove »

I was wrong on the TPM. The 2.0 spec was published in 2014 and accepted by the ISO in 2015, the latest revision to the spec is from 2019.

The Surface does have TPM 2 and meets the rest of the specs as near as I can tell. The MS Store is still selling it and says it gets a free upgrade to Win11. I will just have to wait and see what happens. I bought it as a tablet and like prior tablets I have had, I just let them do whatever it is that they do. From what I have read Win 11 has many improvements that are specific to tablet usage, and well as a tablet it could use all the help it can get.

I have read instructions concerning installing Linux on the Surface, and included in the instructions are details on how to create a "fake" secure boot certificate, which begs the question of what use secure boot is if you can self create certificates to work around it.
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

wove wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:27 am I have read instructions concerning installing Linux on the Surface, and included in the instructions are details on how to create a "fake" secure boot certificate, which begs the question of what use secure boot is if you can self create certificates to work around it.
It would still prevent someone from gaining physical access to your device and booting up some malware USB on it. That's REALLY the only thing secure boot is designed to protect against. In the grand scheme of things, Secure Boot is truly useless, since if they have physical access and want to do bad things, they will eventually succeed if they have physical access, regardless.

EDIT: I double checked, and all my laptops except the Chuwi (but including the Latitude 3500 I'm selling) have TPM2.

EDIT 2: So was reading some early reviews, and discovered that if the CPU supports Platform Trust technology (Intel) or fTPM (AMD), it doesn't need a PHYSICAL TPM2 module. Checked, and my Chuwi DOES support the Platform Trust Technology. So all my laptops WOULD support Windows 11.
wove

Post by wove »

Microsoft has always been poor at messaging. A piece on the Verge noted that difference between system requirements and system recommendations are huge. Requirements seem to cover most machines from the last 5-6 years, while recommendations point to a very good machine from the last couple years. Looking on the store at my Surface, I did find an annotation to the "Free upgrade" which noted it is not finalised, is not slated until the end of 2021 or beginning of 2022, and what features of Windows 11 will be implemented are unknown.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Given you can use Win10 till late 2025 its all a moot point. Most of us will have changed hardware by then and Ill just keep using Win10 for the time being. The other issue for me is, what effect will this have on gaming in a variety of ways. Wont be touching it till its already out and about and we see what potential issues may occur.
Didnt think they would make this move and force users into a box this quickly but it appears Linux may see a huge jump in users, once people realize whats going to happen.
Site Moderator