Stay of execution...

Talk about anything you like not related to the above forums
tlmiller

Stay of execution...

Post by tlmiller »

My Corvette will not be going away. Went and test drove a REALLY clean 2007 Mustang GT today with a Rousch Stage III kit, Borla cat-back, and a few other minor upgrades on it and a Shelby stereo kit. Really nice car, but not quite nice enough to trade over to. After 5 1/2 years of ownership, I kinda want something different, but can't go newer (C7 is HIDEOUSLY ugly, C8 not offered in manual transmission), so with the supercharger and all that stuff on it, the Mustang (should) have had more power, but didn't feel like it had anywhere near as much.
crosscourt

Re: Stay of execution...

Post by crosscourt »

Corvette is pretty nice but you seem to prefer Ford more? Id love to have a loaded Challenger myself as its the closest I can get to the old Chrysler muscle cars I grew up with(I owned a 1970 Dodge Charger).
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Love both the Corvette & the Mustangs. I've had the Corvette for 5 1/2 years though, so I kinda just want something different at this point. While I had originally wanted a C6 Z06 (the bigger, more powerful engine) instead of the C6 Z51 (base model engine w/ track package) that I bought, I couldn't get a Z06 now, they didn't have the option for the glass roof like my Z51 has, and 105HP just isn't worth giving up that glass roof now that I've had it. I could go to a hard roof if I went to something else, but not another corvette.
I was doing the math, and the Corvette is now my longest-owned vehicle I've had IN MY LIFE.

I'm not a fan of the Mopars. While the Challenger is IMO attractive, and the very hard to find sticks are cool to drive due to the pistol shifter, an RT Challenger is nearly $40,000, and because of it's weight, in a race (straight line or road) get DECIMATED by a 4-turbo Mustang that came with the PP1 (Brembo brakes, stiffer sway bar, bigger rims with wider low profile rubber) and cost about $32,000 with a cold air intake & cat-back exhaust added. So they offer a REALLY poor value as they're SIGNIFICANTLY slower than the Chevy Camaro or Ford Mustang that they're priced near. The SRT is required to go head to head with base GT's & SS's, while costing $15,000 more.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Couldnt care less about how fast/performance as nowadays you cant use it anyway, at least in my area. I just like the appearance of the Challenger as it takes me back to my youth. If I had money to burn I wouldnt buy a Mustang/Corvette/Challenger with so many powerful and better handling cars available.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I think the Mustang is BY FAR the most attractive of the 3 pony cars. The Camaro is the least attractive. For me handling is very important, as I do go to tracks. So the Challenger is just too big, too portly, and too expensive. Really for me there aren't too many other choices, as a nice Mustang/Camaro is at the top of my affordability. I actually couldn't afford a nice Challenger, too expensive (SRT is in Corvette price range, which is out of mine). And VERY LITTLE else in the <$50,000 is attractive to me (Toyota 86, Nissan 370z). So my choices when looking are extremely limited if I'm to have a vehicle that doesn't make me want to cry at having to drive it.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

When I was younger we could drive however we liked on back roads and never be bothered. Today thats impossible to do so its gotten to the point where I would buy a car that looks great but wont have all the bells and whistles. Even my Charger in its day wasnt a top end performer but more of an affordable rocket that was also great for driving friends and girlfriend around. Dont laugh as I owned a Gremlin X with a 304 V8 with the Hurst shifter and performance suspension/engine package. That car scared me with how quick it was in a straight line. I wanted a Javelin but couldnt afford it. Use to be a big Trans Am fan.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Javelins were nice. HUGE fan of the TransAM as well, although I was actually a bigger fan of the old trans-am's and the 80's trans-ams. I wasn't such a giant fan of the Smokey & the Bandit trans-am. Not that I didn't like it, just not as big a fan as most. Gremlins were fun (if somewhat ugly) cars. I'm lucky that we have several tracks here in AZ that allow for track days, so I get to go drive as "fast and furios" as I want there, and can just enjoy the car on a day-to-day basis. Given I just can't tolerate the heat anymore to play paintball here outside the winter, my cars are pretty much my only hobby now.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Im talking about the Trans am racing series where the Javelin was pretty dominant back in the day.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Oh, Trans-am series, I did used to love that. The modern Trans-Am series is...blah. The cars don't really look like their road going counterparts anymore, much like how the Nascar cars are simply stickers (although not QUITE that bad). The racing is ok still, but nowhere near the level that it was back in the 80's.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Mark Donohue drove the original Javelin to quite a record in Trans Am. I always wanted one but was never able to afford it.
Site Moderator