What distros have you been testing recently?

Discussion on Linux distributions
tlmiller

Re: What distros have you been testing recently?

Post by tlmiller »

crosscourt wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 6:22 pm Dont really understand youre lack of trust to be honest and Debian has screwed up majorly over the years at times. I do remember Linus talking about the fact that hes been consulted by distros using the patched unsupported kernels so I just dont see it as a major issue. Certainly anything stupid that happens will directly affect them so who doesnt want to avoid that. I have no major issues with Ubuntu or Ubuntu based distros as well as Debian based distros.
OH, it has nothing to do with making misatkes my trust. It's I don't trust Canonical. Like, as in, if they were a person, they'd be the kind of person I walked around with my hand on my wallet when they were around. And I'd be constantly looking around to see where their accomplices were coming from to jack me. I don't trust what they do from a moral standpoint. They're technically competent. They're morally bankrupt. They might not be as bad as some other major companies from California in the tech industry, but as far as Linux is concerned, they're IMO the least trustworthy company that has a major stake in it's fortunes.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

If youre trying to make money you have an agenda. Doesnt mean I have to agree with that agenda but everyone is entitled to follow their priorities. Tech industry is full of companies that want their own way, so whats new. I dont find Canonical to be any more of a major offender versus the other companies. I really enjoy my Ubuntu based distros like Zorin so at least my needs are being met.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Reinstalled Rosa last night and got it updated but some odd things happened. At one point I lost my internet connection as Rosa didnt see the ethernet any more and instead wanted to use wifi. That worked and I was able to finish. I added some apps with DNF Dragora and that went fine, then problems.
Dragora would not come up no matter how many times I clicked the icon. Then I almost gave up and out of the blue it came up after quite awhile. It was no longer responsive and I tried rebooting and it wouldnt come up at all. Its a nice looking distro but has many issues. Finally gave up as I cant use nor recommend a distro that requires this amount of work to use. Mageia still causes a kernel panic even though the same kernel in one of my other distros causes no problems at all.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Solved the wifi issue and decided to get rid of dnfdragora and instead installed yumextender which works fine. Rosa is now very usable. Ive never had much luck with dnfdragora, issues going back to earlier versions of Fedora.
Site Moderator
wove

Post by wove »

I have used Fedora on an off for years, in fact using it now and I have never heard of dnfdragora.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I havent used Fedora for awhile but originally they used Yumex-dnf then they went to dnfdragora as the package manager. Dnfdragora was created from rpmdrake used with Mageia which became rpmdragora. OpenMandriva also uses dnfdragora.

Another strange issue with Rosa, youtube videos dont show any video playback but you can hear the sound. This is happening in Firefox 102 but it works fine with Chrome/Chromium. Tested it with other distros using Firefox and not having any issues. I checked installed codecs and settings and dont see anything wrong.
Yumex so far as a package installer works great no issues.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I've been playing with OpenSUSE LEAP 15.4 in a VM. It's weird, you'd think the stable version would be much better than the rolling unstable version, but I'm not liking LEAP very much. No cpu-x, no protonvpn client, there's several other apps that ARE available in tumbleweed that aren't in LEAP. And then flatpak is having major issues installing Steams Proton GE plugin, keeps failing. Even after doing a flatpak repair --user, it just fails again (the error that it fails with has ALWAYS been fixed previously with a flatpak repair --user). Overall it's not bad still, but just too many things that aren't working well for my tastes. It would still probably be usable, and it's pretty modern given it just released, but...tumbleweed is definitely IMO better.
wove

Post by wove »

I installed Endless OS on my X230. It is just a solid fluid working OS and is just nice for having the stuff I generally use available without hassle. It is not an administrator or developer OS, but for students, moms, retired folks it has about everything one would want, ready and useable without hassle.

It is OSTree based and software comes via flatpak. There is not much in the way of KDE stuff in flatpak and I inquired on the forums about that. The answer I got was that KDE generally does not publish on the general flathub, but maintains their own repos. The key to getting flatpak kde software is to add the kde repo.

sudo flatpak remote-add kdeapps https://distribute.kde.org/kdeapps.flatpakrepo
flatpak update --appstream -y
flatpak install -y kdeapps org.kde.kdeconnect

Once that is added a huge new amount of KDE software shows up in either Gnome Software center or in Discover. I have not yet used this in Fedora's Kinoite distro, but I imagine doing so would go a long way toward fleshing out missing KDE pieces in Kinoite. Creating a pretty nice KDE experience on OSTree.
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Did not know KDE had their own flatpak repos. That's going in a zim note....
wove

Post by wove »

I noticed you have mentioned zim a couple times. I presume that is a reference to zimwiki the note taking application. I have been using it for a long time. When I setup NextCloud I moved my zim notebooks to nextcloud, so now I have them easily synced across my systems. Zim is available for Windows and Mac as well every linux distro. I had copied the commands from the Endless forum to my zim notebook, then from zim to this forum, so it really is a very versatile keeper of useful tidbits.