What distros have you been testing recently?

Discussion on Linux distributions
tlmiller

Re: What distros have you been testing recently?

Post by tlmiller »

Yeah, that's what I'm talking about. I use it to keep information that I know I won't remember because I don't use it often enough. Like how to add packman repos on OpenSUSE, my exa alias's so I don't have to remember how to write it each time, how to get virt-manager installed with all the features I want on every common OS I use, etc...
I do like it. It's simple, easy, and as you mentioned, can even install and use on Windows (although my Windows tips do get saved to onenote, as I admit onenote IS a better application even if the creator is a horrible company). I especially like how it saves the notes as text files, so even if zim isn't working correctly (such as on OpenSUSE 15.4 & Tumbleweed right now) you can still read the notes.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Just reinstalled Mageia 8 and apparently they corrected the issue that caused the kernel panic. Its running great and between the welcome center and some great features its an easy distro to install. No issues with the package installer and the overall install went quickly. Hardware was recognized and had no issues in particular with wifi. Tested multimedia and everything works great. Mageia helps you with an easy way to install codecs in the welcome center.
Resource usage is great at 466mb and no browser issues unlike Rosa.
Being a fan of Mandriva in the old days, Im always drawn toward the forked distros like Mageia, OpenMandriva,PCLinuxOS and Rosa. Unfortunately Mageia is the only one that works and PCLinuxOS has moved off in its own direction. The control center for hardware Ive always liked and the minute i use Mageia the Mandriva memories come rushing back.
Ill use it for awhile but so far its very stable using KDE 5.20.4 and the 5.15 kernel.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Tried OpenMandriva and it was a farce just trying to get into the live session. After waiting quite awhile for it to lod I got a KDE5 error and it had to be closed. I was never able to get it installed and so far Ive had issues with three of the 4.xx series.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Downloaded the iso again for OpenMandriva. Tried a different dvd drive but same hardware the e6440. Still wont boot into the live sessions. KDE5 unexpectedly closed and it just sits there.on the error message. 4.2 it was an issue with dnfdragora so not much good I can say about OM at this moment.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Was amazed trying to get some help with OpenMandriva, that all people could say was why I was still using live dvds instead of USB sticks.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

crosscourt wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 1:16 am Was amazed trying to get some help with OpenMandriva, that all people could say was why I was still using live dvds instead of USB sticks.
I mean, to an extent I can understand since I have literally 20+ usb sticks lying here unused, but...that's still weird that people would be surprised, it's not THAT old hardware that still was during the day when USB booting wasn't a given.
bin

Post by bin »

Gone back to testing MATE - Sparky Linux latest rolling based on Bookworm. Normally I wait till later in the year when freeze has been announced, but it seems remarkably stable now.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

USB sticks are cheap but I give out live dvds to people all the time so its not practical to use USB sticks, too expensive. I keep a library of dvds just to give out so I just pick one up and use it for myself as well. Certainly if it were just me Id use a USB stick but dvds are just so cheap.
Ive provided live dvds for quite some time trying to interest people in using in using Linux. That said Ive had more issues with USB sticks with client hardware than dvds even though a higher percentage of users are using newer hardware. Theres still a lot of older hardware out there.

To bin, I havent used Mate in awhile with Mint being my last distro with it. Ive grown so use to KDE I really dont want to switch even though I do use Zorin that has its own customized desktop.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Now that work isnt the priority any more, Ive been using PCLinuxOS a lot more and really enjoying it. It wont replace Zorin but it really takes me back to the old days back in 2007 when I first tried it.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

We run in very different circles, I can't think of a single person I know who still owns a computer of some form with an optical drive. :D