What distros have you been testing recently?

Discussion on Linux distributions
crosscourt

Re: What distros have you been testing recently?

Post by crosscourt »

I dont want to rely entirely on Flatpak but over time thats exactly whats probably going to happen, as mainstream Linux distros try to simplify and standardize how apps are installed. Fedora if it had a longer support period would interest me but it moves on far too quickly and is a bit hit or miss with various versions. Ive used it a lot over time and have great experiences at times and real problems at other times. Glad it suits your needs.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Right now Im using Zorin full time, but at work Im still using Q4OS KDE. Outside of those two Im not really using any other distro a lot. Mint, Neon and MX Linux I use on occasion. Havent been testing much as I spent many years doing that and now Ive found and OS I like and will stick with for now. Unfortunately I spend a lot of time with Windows due to my side jobs and family.
Site Moderator
wove

Post by wove »

The rapid updating is something of a bother with Fedora. Silverblue is built on OSTree, Endless OS is built on OSTree as well, but it uses Debian as a base. It is also a very nice OS. It is mainly focused on education, which makes it feel odd to just generally putz around on it. Their longer term goals seem to be having the OS available with different focuses. One for entertainment, one for business and such I think are part of their longer term goals.

Endless OS is working on creating an installer maker, which will include the core by default, but let the ISO creator pick and choose the applications and other defaults like icon sets, walllpapers, layouts and such then create their own iso.
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

wove wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 1:42 am Endless OS is working on creating an installer maker, which will include the core by default, but let the ISO creator pick and choose the applications and other defaults like icon sets, walllpapers, layouts and such then create their own iso.
This would interest me when they get it working. I think EndlessOS is neat from a technology standpoint, but really HATE that there's so many apps installed that I just DON'T WANT and can't be removed.

Overall, I'm just glad to have added a 4th distro that is "unique" to my list of tolerable OS's. Certainly OpenSUSE isn't a thread to Debian, or even EndeavourOS for that matter in terms of being a favorite, but it's new enough that it's got the chance to surpass Neon. Not there yet...still got too much to learn about using zypper, but so far, it's a good package manager.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Just tested Mageia 8 on a very old HP Pavilion DC5700 SFF with great success. Other Debian/Ubuntu based distros did not work well with it, audio issues being the major issue.
Site Moderator
wove

Post by wove »

I was happy with BSD using the Plasma DE on the X220. Like most things though my install could have been better, and I made notes on what I did right, what I did wrong, and what I could have done better. I decided to start again from scratch to see if I could end up with a cleaner setup. I figured since I was going to start over I may as well take a look at other offerings with the Plasma DE.

Neon-nope, fedora-nope, kubuntu-nope, but Endeavour OS is pretty nice. It is fast and slick. Endeavour installs via the command line only, but then so does BSD. It is a matter of changing pacman to pkg, which at the end of the day is not much different than using apt or dnf. So anyway now I wonder if I should reinstall BSD or just stay with Endeavour. BSD is easily as stable as Debian, and it seems to be keeping the Plasma DE fairly close to current.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Have you tried MX Linux 21 KDE or Q4OS Gemini KDE? MX21 is very nice with a ton of features and has the MX package installer with many added packages coming directly from the devs. BSD for me is still too dodgy at times with hardware. On the RPM side OpenSUSE and Mageia have some nice KDE GUIs.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

After a few weeks of testing OpenSuse Tumbleweed, I have to report it's definitely grown on me. It's not perfect, there's a lot of workarounds I had to do for some applications (installing onlyoffice, getting virt-manager to show up in menu, and minor things like that), but overall it's a great OS so far. It updates even more than Arch on a day-to-day basis, so it's definitely not something to choose to run if you're not comfortable updating QUITE regularly. So far the updates have all been smooth on my L14, but there have been issues in the VM that gets updated only every couple weeks. It's definitely replaced KDE Neon as my #3 OS after Debian and Endeavour. Seems weird to say that given how much I despised this OS once upon a time. But...it's definitely had massive improvements since that time. I can now say I downright like it.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Been playing with Mint LMDE 5 and enjoying the heck out of it. Its right up there with MX Linux and Q4OS Gemini in ease of use.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Been testing Trinity + Ubuntu 22.04, and it seems Ubuntu 22.04 ignores if there's a /etc/preferences.d/snapd file with a negative priority. There is NO way to block it from installing snapd as far as I can find anymore. Multiple others have posted this same issue recently. If this isn't just a temporary (and uninstended) issue, this isn't good for my being able to use Neon when it gets rebased on 22.04...