A New Job

Talk about anything you like not related to the above forums
CaptNoize

A New Job

Post by CaptNoize »

I got a new job.. :D :roll: I spent 7 months looking. I had 38 applications out, 7 interviews,and a half dozen inquiries. Trying to find a job,...is a job in itself..😡 In this area,employers don't want to pay a decent,living wage. They want you to work for $7-11 an hour,and most shifts are 12 hours. I'm 59,and can out work 98% of the " Millenials " out there. Employers don't care. Even tho they're not to discriminate against age,you know they do. I lucked out and got a job at a Ford Dealership I started my work career at 40+ years ago,this time tho... as Parts Manager. 40+ hours a week, $15 an hour, some healthcare included. The real plus is I can walk to work..! It's about 1800 feet from my front door...! I can still run my electronics repair business,and work there..😁 The Moral to this story is don't get old,and loose your job,or work,... if you do,you're in for a lot of frustration...😠😤😕😬
crosscourt

Re: A New Job

Post by crosscourt »

Glad you found such a good/close job. I did the same thing as I ended up the Maintenance Manager of the condo complex I live in so no commute, but unfortunately living in the community you work for has its own issues. People run to you even on off days for all sorts of issues.

Parts job should be fun and one of the jobs I looked at locally was working at a NAPA parts store.

My job has become a complete pain though so looking to retire by 70 I hope.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Congratulations!! I envy you the commute!!
CaptNoize

Post by CaptNoize »

Thanks for the congrats..! I know the downfalls of working so close,but with the aspects of not working, I'll take it. I have to stay busy,and contribute to society,or my depression overwhelms me. Hopefully,this will all work out.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

In your case working close is going to be great even in bad weather. As much as I hate my job at times, Im thankful I dont have to commute.
Site Moderator
CaptNoize

Post by CaptNoize »

Last Winter,I was driving 26 miles one way to work for the postal service. It was a 1:30 pm till 10pm shift,and the roads here in Pa. get real slick at night. I had several " white knuckle " rides home, on black ice...😬😬😮😯😳😲😲💀 I won't miss those...!! :D
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Working within your community can be a nice experience. It was for me but lately its gotten a bit contentious with so many people with their own agendas.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I'd just like to have a job where I didn't have a long drive. I've never really had that. Back east, I drove 54 miles one way to work (almost in frederick to laurel/columbia). Here it's been regularly just shy of 30 miles to work. I get around most of rush hour by working slightly earlier hours than most (started @4:30AM back east, with 2 1-hour breaks for gym and lunch & start here @6AM), but traffic still gets to me some days.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Im at a point in my life where I dont want to spend so much time in my car. When I did tech work I drove all over the place then I traveled for teaching tennis/coaching, so I got sick of it.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

crosscourt wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:25 pm Im at a point in my life where I dont want to spend so much time in my car. When I did tech work I drove all over the place then I traveled for teaching tennis/coaching, so I got sick of it.
Can't blame you.