What hardware are you using?

Discussion of hardware related issues
wove

Re: What hardware are you using?

Post by wove »

RedHat was the main instigator behind Wayland and I think all of their various spins default to using Wayland. I was a bit surprised to see that x11 was disabled for generally when you log in there is an option to choose the session type. But in Silverblue and Kinoite it is necessary to edit config files in /etc. I assume that the old Nvidia card and the open source nvidia driver needed for this hardware just can not handle wayland.

RedHat is the maintainer for both x11 and wayland, and they have announced plans to stop maintaining x11. I know that has generated concern in BSD communities since there is no wayland for BSD. x11 is included in MacOS X and is the reason I can compile and run Krita and Zim to run on Mac. They produce an x11 window which is understood and displayed using the MacOS compositor to display.
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I'll be glad when Wayland is ready for prime time myself. There's a LOT of things Wayland does WAY better. And there's some functionality (like accelerometers, biometric devices) that simply "work" when you're using Wayland that require a lot of work to get functional in X. So I definitely look forward to it becoming usable as a day-to-day xserver, it's just that it seems they're more interested in adding features to Wayland, and not ironing out the remaining bugs to make it so it's tolerable to actually use.

As far as Nvidii, they JUST THIS YEAR finally got Nvidia to work with Wayland. It's still VERY poorly supported, but it at least does function now.
wove

Post by wove »

I agree that Wayland does many things very well and very easily. My big trackpad on my desktop has better gesture support and much smoother operation with Wayland that it had with x11. I am a huge fan of great out of the box operation and in that Wayland is a big winner.

I have read very little about wayland and its operation. BSD's biggest concern is that if DEs and applications start requiring Wayland, the result would be the loss of Desktops on BSD. There also is some concern on its operation as a server. BSD, Solaris, and Oracle have client server setups, which rely on the server providing an x11 desktop on the client.

I do not understand the mechanisms by which that is done and am completely in the dark as to whether or not it is part of Wayland's specifications to even provide a graphic desktop in a client-server setup.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

X11 will be around for quite some time as Wayland still has issues, plus with a large amount of driver issues and need for older compatibility, there has to be an alternative to Wayland.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Well, whenever they get Wayland working, there's xWayland, so that X apps can still run on Wayland. IT's just that...if Wayland doesn't work well enough for day to day use, then who cares about getting the X apps working on it yet...
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Exactly, well put.
Site Moderator
wove

Post by wove »

Fedora Kinoite 36 has settled in on the 2008 MBP and is doing very nice. I do like KDE. I tend to gravitate back to their older application stack. Since Konqueror is using webkit as an internet back end now, it has become a first rate browser for me anyway. It is a first rate file manager as well. Long out of favor with something of a bigger learning curve, but very capable.

I had charged it up yesterday. Unplugged it and used it for a short while before retiring. I closed the lid and went off to bed. This morning when I opened the lid it popped back to life. The battery was still reporting 92%. I have been using as I normally use a laptop during the day, and the battery is still reporting 30%. That is about as good as you are going to get.

The machine only takes 4GB of RAM, and it can bog down on that, but it has been chugging through. The USB ports are USB 2 and that is a noticable bottle neck, when moveiing the cntents of my home directory over. Kinoite like Mint really presses the C2D processor doing most any task pushes the processor to ~40%. Plasma just barely sips RAM however. With 2 workspace holding 5 open applications, the monitor reports 1.3GB used (noting though that 2.6GB is used as cache and only 130MB are free.

The biggest annoyance I find is the Broadcom Trackpad, is not very well supported. Sometime I can do a two finger click, but mostly I can not. The three finger swipe to swich workspaces, works perhaps one out of 6 times. I really enjoy the 17" screen, which I have set at 1680 X1050. KDE does not seem to have a global setting to control contrast. Everything is large enough to be readable, but it would be nice to bump up the contrast on the display.

About all that is left is to see how seamless the Fedora 37 upgrade will be.
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

The little pink Celery is in!!
it's no Chuwi!!! The LCD is at best meh. It's low brightness, low color accuracy panel, nothing like Chuwi's high end LCD's they use.
Performance is AMAZING for a quad core Celeron.
Wifi is a Realtek 8822CE. :( I hate Realtek chipsets even when they work, and this one's only Wifi-5. And I can't get the bottom off even after removing all the screws. So I can't even see if it's soldered or not.
The ssd does have an access panel to change it out if you want. It's a 512GB m.2 SATA, so it's fine IMO.
Windows install is non-genuine. Oh well, guess it'll never have Windows on it again. I suspected when I looked at the activation status and it had "windows is activated using your companies activation servers". Reinstalled Windows to test, and sure enough, there is no license.
Q4OS didn't recognize the touchpad NOR the sound card, and of course I couldn't connect to the internet because they stubbornly refuse to move away from that net-applet garbage that can't connect to anything and move to nm-applet that works.
Endeavour recognizes the touchpad right away, and at least THINKS it recognizes the sound card.
GORGEOUS laptop. All pink and svelte and tiny and light.

Edit: Endeavour was right about the sound card, it works. As does sleep. So Endeavour seems to be 100% functional on everything so far.
wove

Post by wove »

I did not see the make and model of the Pink Celery (love the name). I keep thinking I would like a nice new laptop, but I just can not pull the trigger. I was in a Best Buy a couple months back. I fingered the new laptops, they mostly just struck me as sub-par junk. Nothing was tickling my fancy, then a sales drone accosted me and the danger of buying something quickly passed. So I content myself living vicariously by reading about other folks fancy bobbles.
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I actually didn't know the model until it arrived. As it turns out, it's amodel I've looked at a LOT, just it's always been more than I wanted to pay. The manufacturer is Dere, and the model is the v14s. There's been 2 generations of this laptop, so IF you decide to look it up, pay attention to the CPU. The older, slower model is a J3145 I think, it's an older Gemini Lake CPU. The newer one is this, the N5095, Jasper Lake. Jasper Lake is SIGNIFICANTLY faster. You can find it with 8, 12, and 16 GB ram, and 128 (8 & 12 GB only), 256, 512, or 1TB (16GB only) SSD.

With Endeavour on here, it's quite decent. Everything so far works that should. It's quite barren of ports, but then, what laptops aren't REALLY nowadays? Given I've owned basically the upper level quad core Celeron (so no Pentium Silvers which are the top model of each generation) since Baytrail, I'm really astounded at how powerful this one is.
ksnip_20221108-080557.png
ksnip_20221108-080557.png (73.68 KiB) Viewed 334 times