What hardware are you using?

Discussion of hardware related issues
crosscourt

Re: What hardware are you using?

Post by crosscourt »

My experience has been just the ooposite as my Acer Chromebook supports Android and Linux apps so its quickly becoming my go to, particularly for mobile use.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

The Android apps mine supports. Literally haven't found a single application I like how it works with android apps on a laptop. But the linux apps probably would have prevented it from being ditched, but without it, ChromeOS is still just tooooooo worthless.
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Remembered that I had a Intel 8265 wifi chip laying around. That's the highest wireless card I can put in here due to running the GalliumOS kernel. Neither the 9260 or AX200 (obviously not the 9560 or AX201) will function with that old of a chipset. Still, an upgrade from 802.11AC wave 1 to 802.11AC wave 2. A little better in circumstances (none of which I'll probably ever need).

So far with 24 hours of Gallium, I REALLY like this machine. I've thrown a bid on the Google Pixelbook on ebay as that DOES support linux apps on ChromeOS, but with 2 days remaining on the auction it's at the max I'm willing to pay for one (I'm also the first bidder), so fairly unlikely to win.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I havent won many auctions on Ebay so I tend to look a lot to buy it nows, when I spot a good price. Most of the auctions end up at the buy it now prices anyway.
Pixelbook is one of the best Chromebooks but its price and below average battery life doesnt make it attractive. When I get into that price range, regular laptops look a lot better.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

These aren't the Pixelbook 2's, so they're going pretty cheap. The auctions that have ended have been <$300, although that's still more than I'm willing to pay.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Gotcha but $300 is still high to me.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Well, it went over $200 so I didn't get it.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

A number of my friends recently have gotten Chromebooks on Ebay for some great prices but honestly I didnt think they were the type to use one.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Well, looks like I definitely won't be picking one up. They've listed some more, but now they're starting them at $250, which is more than I'd pay for one.

I did however bid on another Chromebook 13 G1. Starts at $50, I figure if i win it ($15 shipping) I'll throw mr. chromebook firmware on it too, test the instructions for getting generic linux-based OS to work on it, then flip it as a linux laptop. Make probably $25-$30 off it. If I don't win, no harm and no money lost.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Sounds like a plan.
Site Moderator